Turntables hit the mainstream

Just saw an ad in an upscale newspaper that Neiman-Marcus is selling the Shinola turntable for about $2500 or so. It makes me wonder whether they have salespeople trained to explain to a prospective buyer that it’s not a self-contained unit and they’ll need a cartridge, phono preamp and hifi system to make it work. But I do think it’s a good start.  Then again, if they carry Shinola, why not Wilson, Goldmund, etc?   There's a lot of profit in those products and stores like NM attract a weathy crowd.  Seems like a natural pairing.  
chayro
Which marketing genius came up with the name? Think he works for Schiit?

Shinola is a much bigger brand name than just for turntables. I think the idea behind the name is something like, "If you can't tell the difference between us and the other guys, you don't know s#!+ from Shinola."

They definitely place an emphasis on quality. And even though *you* may be able to think of a better turntable deal for $2500, for selling such an item to newbies, I think they've done a good job.
@johnnyb53 

Just googled Shinola. And I thought they just made shoe polish. Maybe I need to get out more...nah.
Shinola is a good sized company with over 120 employees, run by the former Fossil watch people, and an American gift to Detroit working people decimated by the car industry.  They are the best!

BTW, as a watch collector I have not worn my watches after getting the Shinola Runwell, most comfortable and easiest to read watch I have ever owned.

HW  
BTW, as a watch collector I have not worn my watches after getting the Shinola Runwell, most comfortable and easiest to read watch I have ever owned.
Aha! So *somebody* knows the difference! :)
I live in the metro Detroit area, and my family got me a Shinola Brakeman watch for Father's Day a few years ago. Fantastic product, and I've been very happy with it. I'm hopeful that they'll get me a Runwell turntable for this coming Father's Day, but there is a bit of a price difference (about $700 for the watch and about $2500 for the turntable). I agree the price seems high for what you get, but it is sexy and kinda local. All that said, I'll most likely be keeping my current rig.