The truth about high end speakers MUST READ

We audiophiles are a fussy discerning bunch who demand very specific requirements when it comes to what we hear.
The problem is that these requirements are seldom met no matter how much you spend on speakers. 

Forums like this indicate that audiophiles are trapped in a cycle of neverending upgrades and dissatisfaction no matter how much is spent.

We have been deceived into believing that a "one size fits all" speaker that has been designed by an "expert" who knows better than we do about our requirements, will be ok. This is obviously not the case since every audiophile has a different hearing response curve and different preference. 

If you choose a speaker that has a rising response with frequency, and you prefer a darker sound then its not going to matter whether it uses diamond or berylium, or mdf or aluminium cabinets, or a 4th order or 1st order crossover.

Its not going to matter if the designer has a phd in physics or decades of experience in speaker design because its YOUR hearing that needs to be satisfied not THEIRS.

We are being duped folks. The best you can expect out of all these high end speakers is substandard satisfaction for a few years before you get fed up and decide to UPGRADE!

In conclusion, the notion of a high end speaker is in fact a myth. No such thing exists. Buying a high end speaker is a complete gamble and most audiophiles end up losing not winning. The only winners are the speaker manufactures because as long as they continue to sell, they continue to profit. 

Its also impossible to compare all the different speakers out there in the comfort of our homes so the dealers obviously dont make it any easier for us audiophiles. Its pointless going to a store demo since thats not where youre going to be listening once you buy the speaker. We are getting a raw deal. 

Thankyou for reading. 

kenjit
kenjit - the car that you bought was optimized for the roads that the designers drive on, NOT the roads that YOU drive on. You’ve been DUPED buddy. 

Many people treat their rooms too -so yes they are optimizing their speakers/room to their ears -as you suggest. If that’s not your point then what is? Are you suggesting something? Btw- It’s a hobby. If people are happy exploring equipment and speakers that’s great. If Others think it’s a waste of money why would they care?
@vinylfan62  Actually as far as i know many audiophiles do not treat their rooms. That aspect is never mentioned in hifi reviews either. Ive been to hifi shows and dealers. No treatment in most cases. And most treatment is useless for bass anyway. 

But youre right. The room is obviously part of the optimisation. Thats exactly my point. But the room is only one aspect of it. The crossover, the drivers, the cabinet, the frequency response, are all variables that need to be optimised. 

Nobody wants to waste time and effort, do they? Its a hobby but whats the end goal? The end goal is maximum enjoyment of your music. Thats my assumption. 

Kenjit is getting a rise out of all of us.  The bland points that everyone's hearing is different and we won't necessarily agree with a speaker engineer's claims of audio nirvana bore me.  Who cares?  I enjoy hearing my Veritas every time I throw them on.  I've enjoyed swapping power amps and cables to get something new out of them.  I enjoy buying 2nd hand inexpensively, experiencing the equipment for some time, and then trading up to something different and allowing someone else to experience my previous joy.  I love the amazing audio quality I have achieved on a budget just as much as I enjoy far more expensive & capable audio systems.  I've found something enjoyable with each speaker or amp I've used, as well as found incremental room for improvement. The quest is part of the experience. There is no destination for me, just a passion for experiencing great music on great gear.  I think that is reason enough to stay the course and continue the audiophile journey.  Kenjit won't be bringing me down today with his jaded views.
kenjit - the car that you bought was optimized for the roads that the designers drive on, NOT the roads that YOU drive on. You’ve been DUPED buddy.
@nicotico Hogwash. Most people just want a car to get them from A to B. A garden variety car will do that perfectly. Nobody is being duped. 
Ok, you think expensive speakers are a rip-off. And you’ve chosen not to spend your money on them. Is that the point?