T+A DAC 200 or WEISS 501

Who will take what if given an opportunity lets take a vote.

jasbirnandra

@blisshifi 

What do you think of the pre/volume control in the Weiss 501 vs the DAC200 ?
Because the Weiss one is digital, but it has 4 voltage steps to keep things in the high range and as lossless as possible.

But if one is after a dac/pre one box solution maybe no digital volume can cut it.

I rolled through the filters a few times and landed on BEZ2 as my ultimate set-it-and-forget-it choice. I had a friend’s TT2 for a while and had the chance to do a direct A/B comparison with all other variables remaining constant. The winner: T+A DAC 200. While still offering every bit as much detail as the TT2, it’s fuller and richer sounding. Not a huge gap, but perhaps some would prefer the somewhat leaner presentation of the TT2 or it may be a better choice for use with other speakers or electronics. @ljgm  I’m waiting on a Vitus RS-101 that I ordered a few weeks ago. I’m using a Classé Delta Pre for preamp duties. I’ve not yet compared it to the DAC 200’s preamp section. I’m guessing the Classé is likely a bit better.

Enjoy.  I haven't listened to Classé gear in ages but was once a fan.  The Vitus should be a very nice pairing.  You might find.the T+A direct to the Vitus to be more transparent.  Should be fun either way!

@ljgm You've inspired me to try the direct DAC-to-amp connection.  I'll report back once I've had the chance to A/B.  I think I'll be happy no matter the result; if it sounds better with the Classé, I'll be glad for having bought it.  If I prefer the sound without the Classé, I can sell it and have some extra scratch to put towards speakers!  I may try the A/B with the T+A M200 monoblocks I have on loan (very generously) from my local dealer, but I'll wait until the Vitus is here and broken in before making a final ruling.