Subwoofer Question

Has anyone setup a subwoofer at 90° off axis to the listening position and gotten it to integrate well?

My sub is currently near the front wall between the two satellites, and sounds quite good there. However, because of my limited space I may have to move it halfway between the mains and the listening position, and place it on a side wall. It's a front firing sub with an external[separate] amp/crossover. The room is 12 by 16 feet, with the mains on the narrow wall.

I don't have a dedicated listening room. This is a bedroom that also serves as an office/home theater/music room, so space is VERY cramped. I'm very hesitant to do this, but would like to hear of any success stories if there are any.

Thanks.
gunbei
Gunbei:

Initially I'd leave the phase alone, and try to get to where you already are in integrated bass before fooling with it.

The process for setting phase on a sub is a little complicated and is best done with a test tone cd. What you do is reverse phase on your mains, then play the test tone at your crossover point. Sit in the listening position and have someone else adjust the phase on your sub until you hear the LEAST bass. That will be the perfect phase adjust when you return your mains to normal. Seems whacked, but it works. The other option of course is simple trial and error - try 90 degrees and see if it's better, etc. Use music you're very familiar with that has a strong bass presence, and you'll likely get pretty close. At the very least, you'll get to pick what sounds best to you, and isn't that why we listen?

Have fun!

chas
My room is 11' x 16' with mains along the narrow wall. Initially placed the sub next to the left main on the TV side. I discovered I had a bad low frequencey null right at the "sweet spot" listening position. SPL would vary by up to 6 DB by moving one seating position right or left of center. This weekend moved the sub to halfway between mains and seating position along the left wall and rotated it 90 degrees (it faces center of room). Reversed the phase with the mains and null is virtually gone. No more than 2 db difference across the seating positions.
This is so funny, Luke. Although I started this thread some 6 months ago, I just tried something similar to what you described this past weekend and it worked well. My sub isn't halfway between my listening position and the mains [it's closer to the mains] but results were quite good. Thanks for the input!