Shure Stylus Gauge

As some of you may know I have had some questons about the use of the Shure SFG-2 Gauge. Well at the risk of being extremely annoying here is one more:

I have noticed that when I place the Gauge on a record instead of the platter mat, the VTF reading on the gauge is much more higher. (ie. on the mat the reading is 1.5 grams, on the record the reading is 2.5 grams, then if I place it on the platter without the mat the reading is much lower roughly around 1 gram). The Shure instructions read "for better stability, place the gauge on a record" when I do this it seems to balance okay, then if I push the lever down (stylus still on lever groove) the tonearm and lever stay down and won't balance back up. It just lies against the record. Weird since it balanced before I pushed the lever. Could there be something wrong with my RB300 arm, I just had it rewired and VTF spring removed, or the guage itself?

Thanks,
Frustrated.
mrcs99e0
I totally agree with MRCS's idea of mat vs. record underneath the gauge affecting the reading. I have noticed a difference in VTF when I changed the VTA even slightly using a Graham, SME IV.Vi, or a Rega tonearm. I usually place the stylus in the notch on the gauge, and then blow on the gauge lightly (once the weight is fairly balanced and in range) to reset the gauge. This allows the gauge to really zero in on the correct weight (by moving fully up, then back down to a true resting point) I've compared the Shure to a $600-$700 Winds gauge, and the Shure is pretty darn close (within 1/10th gram or so). Do your final dial in by ear though once you are in range.

Thanks to all for your help in this frustrating matter. It turned out to be a faulty gauge. I just got a replacement everything is set-up perfectly. Just gonna sit back, forget and enjoy.
Thanks to all for your help in this frustrating matter. It turned out to be a faulty gauge. I just got a replacement everything is set-up perfectly. Just gonna sit back, forget and enjoy.