Seeking Amp / Preamp Upgrades

Hi All, first time poster but long time Audio guy.  After about a 15 year hiatus from being a responsible family guy ... I am making my come back to HiFi and putting together a system in what I would call the moderate price zone.  I am seeking some guidance/suggestions and any general opinions given the current environment on acquiring an AMP / Preamp upgrade.  In the past, I drove Vandersteen 2CIs with Aragon Palladium MKII Mono's and used an ARC LS12 (SS).  Current sources: ClearAudio Performance DC with ClearAudio Tracer Tonearm & Charima MM; Parasound Halo JC3 Jr. Phono stage; Esoteric K-05Xs SACD/CD/DAC; Innuos ZENith MK3 Streamer/Server.  Sonus Faber Sonetto V speakers.

Genre's are Classic Rock, Blues, some unplugged acoustic easy listening and a small dose of Jazz.

Currently using older/borrowed equipment:  Classe Audio CP60 Pre & a Rotel RB981 200wpc amp, sound is well, ok. Hence my upgrade quest.  I prefer a big Sound stage with precision and some warmth, have never been a Tube player, but will consider introducing them in a manageable way.

I am fine buying new or used and beyond suggestions, I also have a line on either an ARC LS17SE MKII (Tube) or a PS Audio BHK Signature (Hybrid) both used.  Any thoughts or views on either of them would be appreciated.  Sorry for the long and winding road here but Finally ... AMP selection- I am struggling in the current landscape of choices, so guidance on pairing with a Preamp & placing one into the system I have reassembled here would be most helpful.   Many thanks, hifi63nc.

hifi63nc

@yyzsantabarbara: Thank you for your input and for sharing your personal experiences with me, very helpful. I am researching Benchmark & Coda further as considerations.

@lldd: Great question.  Yes, I would consider an Integrated as I have read what you said about their quality and the compression of the delta between separates.  My only requirement would be, that it is only a Preamp/Amp Integration.  I already have a Phono Stage and DAC, so no need for redundancy plus it keeps the chassis layout cleaner.  Any of your suggestions would be most welcomed!

@soix: Thanks for your input on the BHK, much appreciated.  I neglected to mention this in my original post (1st timer ... 😐), but all of my Cables & Power Cords are Nordost-Blue Heaven and I do run everything via XLR interconnects, including the JC3 Jr into the Classe Pre.  So, I am not opposed to choosing a fully balanced Amp.  I am currently restricted due to the age of the RB981, so running that SE from the Classe CP60 but any recommendations for fully balanced Amps would be great too.

I will look into the Steve McCormack pathway as well - I have a vague memory of that name being associated with Conrad Johnson back in my earlier days ...is that the case?  Lastly, I am going to be patient.  I am going to complete my system and then enjoy listening and hopefully avoid the upgrade itch for quite awhile 😬.

Finding an integrated without a dac is pretty easy, but most, in your price range, do include a phono stage.  I wouldn't let that deter as there is no or minimal sonic penalty for having it onboard, and it may enhance resale value when you eventually decide to move onto something else.  I'm partial to Luxman, and there are a couple of nice offerings listed on this site currently.  Most of the major brands offer one or more units that would work for your situation.  Best of luck, and let us know where you land.

@lldd: 👍liked "I wouldn't let that deter as there is no or minimal sonic penalty for having it onboard, and it may enhance resale value when you eventually decide to move onto something else."  TY!  I will explore and let you know where I start and hopefully land for a spell.