Preamp matching for Krell FPB amplifier

It seems to me that the obvious choice would a Krell preamplifier such as the KRC, KRC-HR, or the KRC-3. That being said I am sure that there are other manufacturers whose preamplifiers mate well this amplifier. The Krell amplifier is a pre Cast technology FPB. I was hoping to find out what current and previous owners have used and what kind of system integration was experienced.
Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Drew
drewfidelity
Krell is a lot better in designing poweramps than preamps. I'm just auditioning preamps with the FPB 600C, I prefer a preamp which keeps it's possible aggressiveness under control. I like the Pass X2.5, all natural sound colors and textures can be heard (btw. a lot better with the 600C than with the Pass X250). I also like the new Nagra PL-L, it has a nice and subtle tube sound and also keeps the highs under control, however the Pass lets me hear more good things of the original recording (the Nagra is not broken-in yet, so it might improve).
Have an option of getting a mint 2nd hand KRC for the same price as KAV 280p to go with a non-cast FPB.

Which do you think is a better option? The KRC used to be their top of the line preamp and the KAV is the current entry level - would technology have improved so much to make a previous top of the line preamp inferior to a present entry level one?
I use my system as Video & Audio and the Theta Casablanc II matches with my Krell 650M's perfecly. Very, Very, Detail, Open Soundstage, Excellent Mid and thunderous Lows.
Hi,

I would suggest one of the excellent tube preamps from Consonance by OperaAudio or Power modules. You will have the best of all worlds!

audiolon.com