Polk Audio XM Radio Reciever A Winner

I just received the new Polk XM radio receiver. I planned a series of a/b listening tests with my old XM radio. It only took about 10 seconds of listening to realize how much the sound quality improved. Highly recommended. It is not quite cd quality but far better than the standard fare. FYI my system is Rotel preamp, Adcom mono blocks and Magnepan 1.6s.
mcmanus
Jsawhitlock,

Please let us know how it sounds through your DAC. Which DAC, BTW? Also, do you find that the analog output still sounds better than a high end FM tuner?

Regards,

Mark
Mstram, I'm using a Sonic Frontiers SFD mk-2 D/A.
The best way to describe the difference is the polk sounds more like cd and my vintage tuner sounds more like lp. One thing I noticed is right out of the box the polk sounded lifeless. I noticed huge improvements after four or five hours of play. I'm going to mess around with some cones, herbies tenderfeet, etc....
All in all I'm happy with the unit and glad I bought it.
The Polk tuner is nothing more than a repackaged Delphi Skyfi, with a better output stage. It's got the same buggy menu, the same quirky channel list, and the same remote. It also fails to respond to "learnable" remotes in the same way the Delphi fails.

The analog section of the Polk is dramatically superior to that of the Delphi (obviously), and if you can connect the Polk to your TV, it's a wonderful thing to see the song titles. (The Polk's builtin display is too small to read across the room.) I really liked routing the display to my TV.

Unfortunately, my Polk went totally dead last night, after it had been giving me green screens on my TV since I got it. I'm sending it back to Crutchfield, and I'm NOT replacing it. I'm pretty disppointed that something sold as a "reference" tuner doesn't even come close to a reference product, and goes so far as to have its core made by a car parts company (Delphi). I won't touch it again.
I like it. Sound quality using external DAC is good. I use the DAC in my Krell CD player and the sound is dynamic and detailed with good soundstaging. Compared to FM, I'd say much better than the Revox 760 tuner I have been using but that's not a great sounding FM tuner.Program choice is good and I particularly like the world music channels which have opened up some new listening for me. At the price, compared to what we all spend on interconnects and power conditioners, I can't see why you wouldn't buy it given the amount of music it provides. Of course if Krell make a higher quality unit, we'll all be off on another roller coaster ride to audio perfection and impending bankrupcy.
I see the most improtant attribute of this receiver as the digital out which allows you to use an outboard dac, like Custodian uses. It is much improved over the Delphi models but the big bump will be using a high-end dac. I will be adding an Opus 21 to my system later this week and will post the results running the XM through that dac.