Placette pasive pre vs. BAT VK-50SE

Hello!

I need to connect one source (CD only) to my power amp.
I want to make it as transparently (without adding or subtracting anything from the signal) as it is possible.

What would be better - a high quality passive pre, like Placette RVC or an active preamp, like BAT VK-50SE?

Have you tried both or any similar configuration in your system?
mrgigi
mrgigi, with only one source what you need is the Placette RVC (remote volume control) which i use and am told sounds the same as the Placette passive pre. I have tried the BAT50SE in my system and prefer the Placette although in some systems the BAT50SE can have a better balance with added weight and body.

i have compared the Placette RVC to the volume control in the Audio Aero Capitole 192/24 version 1 and preferred the Placette RVC. the volume control in the Capitole added a coloration and obscured detail. again, in some systems this "warmth" may be preferrable. you do need the additional interconnect as Ultrakaz mentions but that has far less effect on the sound than the mediocre volume control that Audio Aero uses. it is important to keep the interconnect from the Placette to the amp as short as possible to reduce/eliminate any impedence problems.
Hey Mike, does the Placette RVC good to use when you have a preamp without its own remote control option?
In a similar situation, I own the superb Mark Levinson 380S pre ( original, not upgraded ), but recently picked up a used Placette RVC for the hell of it.

I have been listening back and forth for the last couple of months, listening to one for a week or so, then the other.
Regardless of cost, if I had to pick one, I am picking the Placette and selling my 380S.

Neither is perfect though, at least in my opinion wit hm ysystem, room, & ears. The Placette is easily more tranparent, offers better detail, and more fluidity ... but a slight lack of drive. The 380S really controls the music, keeping all instruments in a well deifing & controlled space, has great drive, and great user features. If the 380S was a tad more transparent, then I would keep it. Maybe that is what the mighty ML #32 offers ?

FYI: My system is here
http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/1132.html
Arl, save the trouble of considering the #32; i sold my #32 after i compared it to the Placette RVC and the integrated Tenor 75Wi amplifier.....in both cases there was no contest. the more neutral and natural your system is the less you need what ANY active gain stage does.

Avnut, the Placette RVC "is" a passive preamp with only one input. you could certainly use it with a preamp without remote....but some transparency would be lost. i use my RVC with a passive switchbox that is totally neutral.

you can view my system and see how it is layed out at;

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html

i have found that simpler can be much better....but you need a system wide plan to properly take advantage of the simple approach.
MikeLavigne:
Small world ... Matt in Ottawa sent me a link to your system pics 2 days ago -> awesome setup you have !

- Andy