Older And Wiser or just Tighter and Deafer?

I’m 63. I’m not wealthy but I have a tolerant wife and I still love to pursue great sound. But I find myself increasingly reluctant to spend significant amounts on new gear. I know my hearing acuity is not as good as it used to be, but my love of music and good sound is not diminished. When considering a purchase, I find myself factoring in cost versus life expectancy (mine!) and auditory function. I’ll even have some guilt about spending my kid’s inheritance. Is something wrong with me?
jdmccall56
FWIW, if you are presently healthy you could easily outlive any components you might now buy. What I would do (and actually have) is to redirect my attention to simplifying my system using quality components to facilitate the ease of use when you start to 'lose' your mind (as well as hearing) in case someone else has to turn it on for you, and I would have a component which has effective tone controls to compensate somewhat for your projected hearing loss (or buy a good quality add-on tone control :-).

bloom, I suppose I'll eventually give in to hearing aids.  I'm just not there yet.  I guess I'm still living in denial (not the river in Egypt).
newbee, I think we're on the same wavelength. 
Post removed 
>> I’ll even have some guilt about spending my kid’s inheritance.

Did you work hard, save and invest wisely so that your *children* would be financially comfortable or so that you and your long-suffering better half could be financially comfortable? I hope that the way that you helped your children to be financially comfortable was by educating them, often by example. 

I believe that if my children want to be financially comfortable, they ought to do the same things that I did: work hard, save and invest wisely.

>> "Does it ever end?"

Sure, when the coroner zips up the bag and carries me out feet first. Until that time, I recommend that you enjoy life to the fullest. 

Post removed