New or Old CD Player?

Let's say I have $5K, tops, to buy a CD player. I don't need digital inputs, outputs, etc. I don't need to spin SACD's. I only intend to play Redbook CD's and want a one-box solution. Would my money be better spent on a new unit, like maybe a Hegel Mohican? Or should I buy a component that was close to state of the art a decade ago? Like maybe a Simaudio 750D, or an Audio Research Reference CD8? Thoughts?
imgoodwithtools
Post removed 
2psyop, I was open to suggestion, and still am. The CD8 made sense for the reasons I detailed earlier. But I still have not heard the unit, and that's what matters. If, for some reason, I don't like the CD8, I will sell it and again be in the market for a CD player. Besides, I think its been an interesting discussion thus far.
FWIW, 
I have a Marantz SA-11 Mk 2, modied with a vacuum tube output by Underwood HI-Fi. About 8 years old - about $4-5k then. Nothing I’ve heard in my system bests it so far. Also have a Cambridge cd deck feeding a Mytek Brooklyn dac. Sound is different, but most people prefer the Marantz. Tried to sell it once for 2500, but wound up keeping it. 
Hope Audio Research works for you.
I've heard a lot of good things about Luxman. Mike at Suncoast Audio tried selling me on a Luxman D-08u. Said it was the most analog unit he's ever heard. I settled on the more detailed T+A unit. But Luxman should be a brand for consideration.
You could probably pick up an old Mark Levinson CD player for a song...no pun intended!