New Bluesound Node – First Impressions

I'm new to streaming. To get started, I ordered the new Bluesound Node, the just-released successor to the Node2i. It arrived Friday. System: Sonus faber Olympica III speakers, McIntosh MC402 power amp, Magnum Dynalab MD208 used as a preamp, Denon DCD-1600NE SACD/CD player, and various cables, mostly Audioquest. I offer my first impressions, FWIW. I don't claim any particular expertise.

I connected the Node to the pre via Audioquest interconnects. It doesn't accept my aftermarket power cords. Used wireless, not ethernet. I have free trial subscriptions to Amazon Music and Qobuz.

First, Amazon Music. Tried some Beethoven, and some Rameau, with poor results. Compressed, tinny, and unlistenable. 10 minutes of Amazon HD was more than enough.

Next, Qobuz. Brahms, Schumann, Led Zep, Bowie. A very substantial improvement on Amazon HD. Notably, on the same tracks, the Qobuz high-rez sounded significantly better than the Qobuz CD-quality. Differences were immediately apparent on Led Zep's Dazed and Confused, available in both formats.

But the Qobuz high-rez can't compare with CD quality sound on my system as currently configured. On the same recordings, CD quality is clearly superior to Qobuz high-rez played through the Node. Detail, presence, dimensionality – there's no contest.

As a means to explore music to purchase on CD, the Node, playing Qobuz, may or may not suffice. As a substitute for CDs, I very much doubt it will do.

Let me re-emphasize that these are only my first impressions. I don't know how the Node will sound after further break-in, or with an ethernet connection, or with an external DAC, or with different interconnects/preamps/amps/speakers, or with other streaming services. I hope this post is helpful to other forum members considering this or similar equipment.

gg107
Yikes!  By the time you spend the money on a decent DAC and decent power cable, you could purchase a Lumin and get an audiophile grade streamer and be done with it!  
That sounds like 6 of one or half a dozen the other. Or as my wife likes to say, “that’s a 6/half” 
Geeez, enough already! This thread is enough to deter a anyone  from wanting to buy a streamer...Such BS to say you need to buy an external DAC to get the most out of the Node..Or that you need $$$ cables. To even know what DACs hold what chips and what specs the DACs hold you are ate up! Your into gear more than you are music..Your splitting hairs with here...Buy what you can afford  and listen to the music already..My Node plays Im entertaining, out by my pool where zone 2 provides the music, or working in the home...Be hard pressed to tell the difference  if I had a Node or pissed away 4k on a DAC that does the same to the digital signal Id be hard pressed to tell the difference.. And If there was a difference, who cares...certainly wouldn't  be worth another 500 or 1000 dollars.  Guys take the fun out of music. 
As the OP of this thread, I'll add that after a week of living with the new Bluesound Node I can't recommend it as a standalone streamer/DAC.  My Denon CD player is inexpensive by audiophile standards, but in my system it is far superior to the Node.  The differences are particularly noticeable on non-high-rez classical recordings; less so on rock.  

My wife, an experienced recording and concert artist, thinks we should just send the Node back during the 30-day return period.  The other alternative is to add a decent quality DAC.    I appreciate the suggestions for better cabling, ethernet, etc., but ultimately the critical limiting factor is very likely the Node's DAC itself.  I'll give it a little more time to see if break-in makes a significant difference.  
OP, you have proven what most of us have recommended here.  For audiophile sound you simply have to add an external DAC.  Yes, for background music or zone 2 by the pool, maybe, but I still want the best sound regardless where or when it is playing.  I have the Schiit Gungnir and it is fantastic for $899.  Keep the Node, you need a streamer and as far as I know it is one of the best for the money.  Pick a DAC that is in your budget or has a trial period as well.  Schiit gives a trial on their gear.  Don't give up!  Quality streaming is awesome.