Need a big favor picking a preamp

I recently tried out an Esoteric E-02 phonostage and have decided to buy one.  (It was a big step up from a Parasound JC3+, which surprised me.)  I'm working on my preamp stage now, and tried out a Dan D'Angostino Momentum HD preamp and the Exoteric Grandioso C1X

Dan's preamp was fantasic, but I makes me feel like I need to be wearing several gold chains when using it.  Perhaps also a toupee and some gold nugget rings.  "Gaudy" is the word when I look at it. 

I also tried out a Esoteric Grandioso C1X, which was fantastic, but a bit cold, and much of my system is already Esoteric Grandioso, and it's getting a bit fanboyish.   Unfortunately I did not have it when I tried out the E-02, but I assume the two would be excellent together.

I would say the D'Angostino preamp is "more musical", while the Esoteric more "more precise".

There's a third contender I have never heard on my system, but loved when I heard elsewhere on a similar system -- Nagra HD preamp -- it had the precision of the Esoteric and had just a tad bit of tube sound.  It's also startlingly expensive.

I tried out several others that just didn't fit my system: Pass Labs being one, which surprised me.

So, please advise:

D'Angostino Momentum?

Esoteric C1X

Nagra HD

The downstream are two Classe Delta Monoblocks, Bowers 800s, SVS PB16 ultras.  Upstream Digital: Esoteric K-03XD and Lumin U1  Upstream Analog: Esoteric E-02 and alternating between a VPI Titan and Esoteric Grandioso turntable.

Current preamp is a Prima Luna Evo 400, which I love the looks of, and punches WAY above its weight for the price, but it's time to go.

davetheoilguy

@davetheoilguy Head on over to WBF. Much more diverse group over there both from an economic and intellectual level. You are going to find members with more actual experiences to share on this subject than here.

davetheoilguy OP

62 posts

@jacobsdad2000 @thecarpathian 

LOL.  It was constructive.  I was thinking "steampunk" for the D'Agostino, but it's very Royal Oak Offshore in its looks to put it into watch terms.  Doesn't make it not a fantastic amp (which it is), but I'm having trouble with its looks.  I'm more of a Rolex Daytona guy.  To keep rolling with the watch analogy, the Esoteric is a bit like the highest end Apple Watch, technically fantastic kit.  But something is missing.

I probably should give the Classe Preamp a try, but I just don't know anything about it.  I kind of fell into the Classe monoblocks at a lightly-used, 50% off, situation and they are a known great match for the Bowers diamonds, such that Bowers (at the factory) unequivocally recommended them (privately, not as a company).

Can you tell me more about the Nagra HD you saw?  It seems awesome, but $70K is making me puke.

FWIW synergy and enhancing the strengths should be the goal with such a highly resolving system. Since I own an Esoteric C-03/ A-03 I know the house sound, when adding a different brand extreme caution is needed. Logic would be try the Classe preamp first then Esoteric.

Curious as to why you’re moving on from the prima Luna evo 400, that’s on my radar as a preamp upgrade….

@woots 

" Nagra is, after all, made up of musicians."

Funny, I was an electronic countermeasures officer in the Army.  When I think of Nagra, I think of equipment we used to figure out what bad guys were up to in Iraq and other unsundry places.  I was surprised to find out they made anything for the public market.

Top notch kit, in that arena.