Modding the PS Audio Directstream DAC MK1 and MK2

I would like to continue discussing all the mods we have created for these two DAC's as it seems PS Audio is no longer allowing discussions about them on their forum.

For reference here is a link to the closed discussion.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/modding-the-directstream-dac-mki/2680

128x128richardselectronics

Would enjoy hearing your opinion on Massive final.  I hear a major improvement.  

I’m kind of on the fence.

Using a preamp, we feel Firmware fpga1_208_Antero or the first fpga1 228 Massive sound better. The new fpga1 233 Massive is clearer and can have more detail and a larger stage however for us just doesn’t sound as "real". Just a little thin sounding for our taste. String instruments have lost their body and texture.

We of coarse did instant A/B listening test in our evaluation.

The UI update is great as now we can turn off the power to the WiFi chip inside the unit. The sample-rate screen is also welcoming.

@jk_richards Are the APS transformers for MK1 and MK2 wired differently? Ted is saying the MK1 and MK2 are different but it's interesting that they can both use the same Edcor xs4400 transformers.

Yes they are different. The Edcor XS 4400 has 4 windings that can be configured in several ways. (4-center tapped coils. 2- primary and 2 secondary). PS audio just uses the two secondary coils in series without using the center taps. They use the series junction as the center tap. The Edcore is a cheap ($30.00) off the shelf transformer that can accommodate many devices. These Edcor transformers were not designed to do this however it seems to work however with a great loss. Ours are designed specifically for the MK2 or the MK1. That’s why they sound so good. Our transformers designed for the MK2 will not damage the analog board whatsoever as PS Audio is claiming in the link above. It’s impossible unless the technician does it improperly. We have been running our MK2’s continuously for a year now with no issues. We have many customers doing the same also with no issues. Our extensive testing using state of the art equipment shows better performance using APS transformers unlike the statements in the link above.  Using a properly installed APS Audio nickel transformer will NOT damage the board however an off the shelf transformer can as it would not have the correct wiring. This is a passive device that improves the sound quality of the MK2 by a large amount just like the ones designed for the MK1 which are a different design

This is so ridiculous as PS Audio contacted us and wanted us to license or sell them our transformers. I can post emails from them if necessary.

Here is the real culprit of failing analog boards in the PS Audio MK2 units.

Hack job hand soldered adapter boards being installed at PS Audio. Guess they ran of the proper parts so they hacked this in instead. If I paid the kind of money these units cost and found this I would be very upset.

Shall we say more?