Martin Logan Aerius with subwoofer ?????

I am planning to mate my Aerius with a subwoofer. Any suggestions will be appreciated, brand of sub that will match.
coolkiko
I have Aerius I, the "sub" tbone refers too rolls off at 40hz and is also DESIGNED to blend with the panel. Not exactly what I would call a sub by any means. Any way I have not been able to match a sub well with mine but I have not tried anything much beyond the $750.00 mark. Maybe something of higher grade will keep up with them better but some times less is better.
I'm not sure how this will work since your speaker already has a "sub", of sorts. I'm going to go with a REL (Strata or Storm, maybe two) with my full range CLS's and still think it will be a tough match (i.e will the REL keep up with the speed of the CLS's, will the additional low frequency come at the expense of transparency ((I already know that the answer to this is "yes", but don't know how much I'll lose)). I'm not sure how a sub will match both your esl panel AND your dynamic woofer. Seems like there's going to a lot going on there. You have a very small panel as is (and there is a direct correlation between panel size and sound with Logans) so I wonder what the net effect will be. I've heard great things about REL -- the only way to go with esl's -- but you may be better off with a bigger Logan. REL's don't come cheap. Why not upgrade to a bigger panel and bigger woofer? SL3 or Ascent? Your net cost might be about the same with better results.
Try Velodyne HGS-10. Crossover @ 8oHz. Keep the sub volume down. Will be very smooth.
i would try a pair of vmps' subs - as large as yer room will take, & be sure ya get all the awailable options. use marchand's deluxe version of their xm-9 crossover; its flexibility in plugging in different x-over points, 24db/octave slopes, separate wolume pots for low pass, hi-pass, *and* a volume pot for the x-over frequency, make this an excellent tool for matching to different speakers. marchand also sells this x-over w/a 48db/octave slope, if yer really worried about matching-up to electrostatics. i got the whole package - 2 new largeer subs, a new x-over, & a pair of adcom gfa-555's, & the whole ting cost me only ~$2200... ewe can save by using a pair of their original or smaller subs, & getting one amp, which should really be all ya need, considering that these subs are pretty efficient, and operate at 4 ohms... less distortion, better electronics, & more flexible than all but the most expensive powered subs, & those only equal, not surpass the vmps, imho...

doug

Hey, Doug. I just happen to have an old Adcom GFA555 laying around. What do the VMP's go for on the used market? Might be fun to try them. Also, since subs are prtty much "non directional" is there any problem placing a single sub between my speakers (9 feet apart-center of panels)?