Looking for a CD player

Dear community,
I listen to CDs only and I have owned an entry level AMC CD9 CD player for the past 15 years.
Over time I modified this unit to the max with very good results.
Now I think I am ready to move on to the next level so I am looking for a used CD player under $1,500.
One that can be further improved would be also interesting.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
sounasega
The Rotel, Audiolab and Cambridge 851c may not sound as good as what the op has now...

I like the Audiolab CDT6000 a bit more than the Cabridge CXC.

OP, my advice would be to just get a nice dac and a Cambridge CXC or Audiolab cdt6000

I’ve had the CXC, CDT, Azur 851C, and am currently using a musical fidelity a3.2 cd with a Schiit Gungir Multibit dac (R2R dac).  
I'd really recommend a California Audio Labs CL15. Mine was made in 1994, sounds great. I know they are a bit old, but....Cal Audio just got things right on the CD players.
They do come up for sale on Ebay and other sites typically <$1,000.
McIntosh MCD 205 or MCD 201. 
MCD 205 is a 5 CD changer with Nakamichi mechanism.
I really like the sound of mine. Very musical player! 
If you lucky enough you can find one in pristine condition for $1500 or so. 
Good luck!
thanks everyone, the search list on hifishark is getting pretty long...
Looks like a lightly used Cambridge CXC or Audiolab cdt6000 could fit well.How about the border patrol dac? Any experience?
Check out the Denon DCD-1600. Built like a tank, excellent DAC, about $1,200 with a 5yr warranty. I bought it because I wanted a really good 2-channel SACD player. It’s “Made in Japan” and it shows. 
SACDs sound sublime, but most of all I was surprised at the amount of additional detail the Denon pulls off Redbook CDs. 
FWIW, PS Audio decided to use the Denon transport in their new CD player...