Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O - is that the link you meant to post? It goes to a track from that DeJohnette album, "Hudson". Did you mean something related to Orion 10? Let us know, please.  I’m always curious about "new music".

Ghosthouse, on a clear night when you could see all the stars, I would wonder what space travel is like; that's when I would imagine a journey through an outer galaxy to "Orion 10", a distant star, or planet, and this music is just right for a space flight.
Okay...so that IS the correct link to the music you intended.  Glad you are enjoying it.  Pretty certain this recording had come up previously and you were scratching your head about the strong recommendation from one site or another.  Sounds like you have been won over.  
It may not have been jazz -- but this video shows the improvisation and interplay among the musicians of a very creative group from the early '70s.  I may have mentioned it before but I saw them in concert around this time.  It was in a small club, probably no more than 200, and we had a table up front.  Watching the musicians trade off lines and feed off one another's energy was something special.  Cobham was a coiled spring that released more and more energy as the night went on.  Certainly one of my Top 10 concert experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0bMRcBik4
Regarding the "Hudson" track.  Those who read Stereophile will know the album was recently selected as their recording of the month.  When I first began listening I thought, OK, heavy bass line to propel it forward but nothing really grabbed me.  But the review mentioned the resemblance with Miles from the "Silent Way", "Bitches Brew" period.  I could hear some Mahavishnu Orchestra as well, which led me to the post above.  A second listen, all the way through this time, was a little more fun.

The review also discusses the use of classic rock associated with the Hudson Valley as well as a few new compositions.  "Woodstock" and other rock numbers can be found in the listing to the right for anyone else curious about how they were adapted.