how far do you sit from your speakers?

I've found that if I pull my chair about two feet forward from the wall that the soundstage feels more three dimensional. Speakers are about eight feet apart and my earrs are about that far from the tweeters now. anyone have any thoughts on what's ideal. Speakers are Spendor S8es.
grimace
I have soundlab m2's 3 feet off the back wall;10 feet apart and sit 12-13 feet in front of and right in the middle.My back wall is 10 feet behind me and side walls are 8 feet from the listening position.
If you are told one particular seating position is THE position for best sound or even particualrly good sound, will you repair to that scenario even if once done you aren't happy with it?

Theories aren't always applicable or even practical at times. Although there is an immense data base for optimizing sound via speaker placement and seating positions which indeed help out a lot, in the final analysis the main factor is you.

Good to optimum speaker placement addresses only a portion of the issues surrounding the audible presentation. room treatments address the rest. Seating position for 'your' sweet spot will then be pretty easy to determine.

I use a recliner now and my head doesn't rise above it completely, so I'm like sitting close to the back wall, yet I listen in the near field sitting right at or a bit less than the width of the speakers away from them.

As I lay back the chair, or keep it upright, the presentation alters. Noticeably. What's best then? About 2/3 to 3/4 of fully reclined... IMO. But not only am I moving slightly away from or closer towards, the speakers as I lay back the chair, I'm lowering my ears closer to the height of the tweeters as well.

In the end, for me, being able to have the flexibility of minimal vertical and inline movement to and away from the drivers works for me. the changes in the soundfield at any different position are noticeable and I enjoy previewing music from different perspectives with some ease.

I'm sure you'll pick well, your fav spot... but do try several to find out. I think it's kind of like picking out headphones. Find the right neighborhood, then the right street, knock on a few doors and you'll find the house that will suit you best. Good luck and do enjoy.
I've moved me and speakers about so much I had to replace the carpeting and use platforms under my speakers! Now I just move the chair... up & down.
What's ideal depends upon the specific room and the speaker make/model and can only be determined by expermentation. Jim Smith's book "Get Better Sound" has an excellent procedure for doing this.

The procedure explained in the book worked well for me. I was pleasently surprised by the result.

As I lay back the chair, or keep it upright, the presentation alters. Noticeably.

Not surprising - when you get close to a wall there is significant variation in sound quality reaching your ears. It is especially noticeable in the bass.

The other effect of reclining is your own ears - unless your pinna is able to rotate like a dog would do (cock an ear and turn it toward the sound)
I think it has a lot to do with the type of music I prefer, room size, speaker size and maker as to where the speakers sound best. I mostly listen to jazz, blues and rock so my speaker placement is more immediate with an open sound stage that has more width than depth. If I listen more to classical, big band and or parade type music I think I would want a much deeper and wider sound stage because of the size and scale of the music and the complexity is much more involved.

I can also turn my bass cabinet forward or backwards and again for the type of music I listen to I have them forward.

My room size taking away the record rack along the back wall is 19D X 14'7"W X 8'H. I sit 3' from the back wall and 11' from my speaker. The speaker are 2' 8" from the side wall, 4'5" from the back wall and they are 9' apart at the tweeter. I toe them in quite a bit.