HMS TPO MATCH cables

does the impedance selector work on some ratio between input/output connected components with aural fine tuning later or is it all play by the ear. any suggestion on popular settings.sunil
sunilsood
My experiences are limited to using the HMS between my dac and the preamp, although I have used different dacs and preamps. The big problem is that in all cases the volume dropped off so sharply with each higher setting that I could not get an exact constant volume setting using my pots. Since louder is generally accepted as better, I did not think this was a good test. Given the recent posts suggesting benefits, I will try again.
I spent about 2 hours with the settings on the interconnects and definitely noticed some changes. With the Piega-10 's I found the best setting was at 2. At 0 the soundstage is the biggest. When I switched to 1 and 2 the imaging was tidied up and more pinpoint and the soundstage decreased ever so slightly which I preferred. This will be interesting to play with since I am biamping and can change the bass or the treble independently with those settings.
thanks for all your responses, any idea of experimental settings between a passive pre n power amp.the soundstage review seems to favour zero settings with active pre.
If you read my post, you saw that I am using a passive pre (Silver Rock). It still depends on the equipment. The Soundstage reviewer didn't evaluate these cables properly by not substituting different components. That's the real value of these cables....being able to match different components in your system. When using my Accuphase straight in without the Silver Rock, I use the "0" setting. Different components, different settings. You'll just have to try it for yourself. The way I always start is listening to the "0" setting first, then go 1 click each way (9 and 1) to get an idea where I want to start. From there, I try to move up or down to fine tune it.