Gilmore Audio planars revealed

The Gilmore Audio speaker have finally been photographed for the world to see: Gilmore Audio

Disclaimer - I'm a dealer for the Gilmores, though at this point I'm still awaiting my first pair, as they haven't begun shipping yet.

The Gilmores push the edge of the envelope for planar technology in several areas. Innovations include an extremely thin (3 mil) Kapton diaphragm; bass extension to below 20 Hz; easy 8-ohm load combined with 92 dB efficiency (you can drive 'em with Atma-Sphere M-60's!); and maximum output level in the mid to upper 120's.

Designer Mark Gilmore is the webmaster of the Atma-Sphere Owner's Group website, as well as of the Sound Lab Owner's Group site. He's been around for a while, but this is his first commercial loudspeaker design (to the best of my knowledge).

I haven't heard 'em yet so can't comment on the sound (I know, that's all that really matters after all). I'm expecting a pair before the end of the year, and will post comments then.

Duke
audiokinesis
WE are done with you. You don't know what you don't know and it is clear that you don't want to learn either. You clearly have no conception about what we are doing because you are blinded by a paradigm which is totally irrelevant to our speake. In turn your arguments totally miss the mark. We are very familiar with Mr. Linkwitz and his marvelous work and I dare say, we understand it perhaps a bit better than you .. among other things. FInally, we don't need any machine to test our excursion. You can push the planar woofer with your finger and measure it. Now its just a matter of getting enough power to make it move that far -- which someone couldn't stand to listen to anyway.

BYE for good.
Dear Sellerwithintegrity,

Could you PLEASE refer to the poster you are replying to?

You just made 6 posts and I'm having trouble connecting the dots. On a previous occasion in this thread, you made 5 posts in a row, and one of them was a reply to me - so I had a vested interest in working out which was which.

Regards,
I believe he is referring to me as the one he is done with, mainly because in spite of his 'welcoming skepticism' he is unable to answer the questions.

He incorrectly stated the Xmax, then says proper testing is unnecessary when a finger is just as good.

He has stated they didn't even bother testing the vertical dispersion, which was the point in question with the ribbons, not the horizontal dispersion.

He has made the rather unusual statement that his speakers are louder at 3 meters than they are at 1 meter because they are line sources (!).

He has also stated that they produce 'louder and cleaner' bass than any other speaker they know of, in spite of being dipoles.

While professing admiration for Mr. Linkwitz, who probably knows more about dipole bass than any other on this planet, he has failed to provide any information on how his speakers are able to ignore the fundamental truths about dipole bass SL espouses, especially in the area of maximum volume.

And in the midst of all that he has intimated that I am a liar, ignorant etc etc. I'm quite happy to admit I'm wrong, when shown precisely why.

Just for the hell of it, I will reiterate the problem. You have used this forum to tout your speakers while making very grandiose claims. When questioned about these claims you have failed to respond in any meaningful way other than to say 'trust us', and insult those who ask the question.

You may be a 'buyerwithintegrity' at eBay, but as a 'sellerwithintegrity' you still have a ways to go.

Still, best of luck. Having heard other ribbon/dynamic hybrids of a very similar design, and owned many dipoles from Martin Logans to Audio Artistry, plus having build my own Linkwitz inspired dipoles I am sure they will sound great. Within their limitations.

Take a chill pill and have a great day.
One thing is certain, these "new" Carver's have a lot of people talking. Good questions have been raised and the answers seem to me to have fallen a little short, but I will reserve judgement until I can actually listen to a pair. I would like to offer one observation, no matter how good they sound it's going to be tough getting folks to plunk down 19K for the "standard" Corian colors and then upcharge for the others. I, for one, do not want a pair of kitchen counters in my listening room.

Regards
merganser:
the only thing that is certain is that sellerwith has not responded to questions and challenges with technically complete answers and has offended many with his grandiose claims and condescending attitude.

sellerwith:
apparently you aren't a technical person. that's fine, but that's no excuse for not getting the correct and complete information from Gilmore and presenting it here. just because people ask questions and a few might make erroneous comments doesn't give you permission to grandstand, spindoctor, and insult. this isn't the place for self promotion either, since nobody asked about the other stuff you sell. you can consult the moderation guidelines or ask the moderators.

you haven't given factual answers to my questions, so i'll try again:

1. horizontal dispersion. you say -3dB at 60 degrees dispersion (plus or minus 30 degrees, for those reading). At what frequency?

2. vertical dispersion. since when is bass below 500 hz "pretty much omnidirectional"? that's one of the most preposterous statements i've ever heard! first of all, 500 hz is midrange, not bass. if somebody can't tell where a 440 hz tone is coming from, they're probably deaf. care to quantify "pretty much"? engineers don't use that phrase in specifications.

3. comb filtering. you said, "Whatever comb filtering effect is created by our topology, it is less than anyone elses -- not more because of it." the accuracy of that statement is dubious, but that's beside the point. a full range line source has its element(s) aligned without timing anomalies. remember the old beveridge electrostat? before my time and it's been quite a while since hearing a pair, but that's a full range line source. some people might consider the gilmore to be planar.

4. will post a followup on doppler distortion.

5. binding posts and crossovers. i still don't see the binding posts on the ribbons. with each woofer having binding posts, you need to run jumpers about 18" long between them, and since the posts aren't lined up you'll need to bend the wires. not to mention the possible need to buy more cabling for between the woofers, from the woofers to the crossover, and from the ribbon to the crossover. sounds unattractive and a hidden expense. the crossover should be in the pictures.

i agree with merganser's remarks. $20k, not $19k, plus shipping, and then more for other colors, plus the cost of all the jumpers, is a lot for kitchen countertops.