Fairly new to streaming. Where to start?

$2k & under budget

Aralic Vega has streamer  and DAC. May be the easiest start?
Then there is Schiit...Yiggy or Gumby...which streamer?
Ladder NOS dac? Or Chip? I'm old. maybe I'll like the old school DAC?
Then there is  Benchmark DAC 3...I think it has streamer?
Then
Exasound E32
Audio Mirror?
Metrum
MHDT Orchid
Border Patrol?
Musical Paradise?
Whats a newbie to do? I am a classic rock fan with lots of FLAC & M4a files. I like detail & PRaT. Love a good bass line. I also play some 70's jazz. I have a Theta Miles CD player from the 1900's & play a lot of vinyl too. But I need to come into the 21st century.  Besides, I will probably become tired of the vinyl ritual and work at some point as I get older. I think I have done enough homework to be somewhat confused. Maybe the biggest question in light of how fast digital changes is the question of streamer with DAC or separate Streamer and DAC. One other question is the streamer & bridge the same thing? OK Thanks!! 
128x128artemus_5
You don't need to be an adept to build a RPI solution.
Volumio provides a very good guide: https://volumio.org/get-started/
If Roon is your forte: https://ropieee.org/getting_started/
I've used them both and many others with RPI3 for years and spent more money on DAC.
If somebody still feels tech-challenged, I could help.
While all commercial solutions are pretty good, the do tend to cost $$$, after al, all depends how much $ you have to play withl.
Friends, Thanks for all the info. One thing I think is missing is that most of you probably have not looked at my system. It is listed here on A’gon (though w dated picys). But that may be something that most don’t know about. So here it is

Teres 340 TT
Vacuum State JLTi phono pre
Zyx 4D cart on OL Illustrious tonearm
Theta Miles CDP
Conrad Johnson CT-5 preamp
Bob Latino ST-70 amp
Silverline Sonata speakers
2 Sumiko S-10 subs (Rel S-5 clones)
Pure Note cables
Monster power conditioner
Oyaide R1 power outlet
Various tweaks especially footers (makes a real difference)

Some have suggested that I spend $200-300 +/- for a player/dac. Do you really think that will sound good or be competitive in my system? Of course not. Again, I appreciate your efforts. But top quality playback comes at a cost. Sure, there are giant killers. The Latino ST-70 is one. But giant killers are very few. As much as it seems to bother the new audiophile, price is an indicator. FWIW, I don't have deep pockets. Its taken me 20 yrs to get to this level. But I am committed to good quality sound. And I have often spent a quarter to save a dime. Its human nature. We want things as cheap as we can get them. But one thing I have learned is that 95% of the time when I try to  go too cheap I end up spending more than I would have if I had spent the necessary $$ to get what I was looking for in the 1st place.

Some good conclusions here: https://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/06/measurements-do-bit-perfect-digital.html
His system is likely better than mine and he still uses a "cheap" transport. Bitperfect transport of your music bits is pretty much the same, now it is more about packaging and features.
Here is my recommendation.  I have been streaming since 2014.  My first streamer was a Pioneer N50.  Later in 2017, I moved to a Sony UHP-H1 SACD/Streamer.  Finally in 2018, I moved to the Denon Heos Link V2 so that I can subscribe to Tidal.  As far as sound, they were all very close to each other with the Pioneer being slightly above the other two.  The average prices was around $600 US but the Sony was under $300.  By they way, all of these units sounded better with an external DAC. (REGA)  Anyway, what I discovered through AB comparisons is that my Cambridge Audio CD transport ($500) sounded much better than all three.  I am not implying that you buy a cd player instead.  Streamers offer other benefits that cd players don't have.  However, my recommendation to anybody who is after great "audiophile" sound is not too spend too much money a streamer.  Get something decent that will satisfy your needs. Used streamers are a good option if you don't plan to subscribe to music services.  With that, I will recommend the following three streams based on the fact that I have auditioned them:

1.  Cambridge Audio CXN V2.  This streamer has a great sounding DAC as well with plenty of digital inputs.  Best sounding of the three, with or without external DAC.

2   Bluesound Node 2i. This is my second choice.  It has a good app as well.  Will sound best is connected to a "decent" DAC.

3.  Denon Heos Link V2. This is what I have on my system.  Not bad when connected to my REGA or Musical Fidelity DAC.

I hope this helps.  Good luck
Cheers.
@bicuThis was written in 2013. Is it valid? Digital keeps changing and we learn more every day. . The CEO of Aurender disputes this I believe.