Ditching Class A Amps due to Heat - Sort of a Poll

A discussion elsewhere about the future of Class A made me wonder how true one statement really is. So the questions are...

Have you done away with your Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you be moving away from Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you never buy a Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

I only have a class A/B unit that does Class A up to 6 watts with almost no heat so really can't speak for those who have used in the past or currently own and run Class A Amps.

brianh61

I love my EL34 push pull bespoke integrated amp. 6CA7, whatever. I think it uses about 300 watts.

Should things warm up I flick on the air conditioning which draws about 2000 watts.

I’m fortunate to have a dedicated transformer on the power pole supplying electricity to my home.

Having said that, I look forward to consulting with the dude who makes March Audio amps. 

Class D technology is something to think about for anyone seeking nirvana, should one understand how appropriate components have to be matched.

Otherwise, not.

Had spectral ss gear for over 20 years.  Class ab and the heat fins ran hit but not to a high level and left them on continuously.  Fell in love with a class a esoteric during a demo, and tried the more efficient models in the line up and chose the class a.  300 watts at idle so it is on only during listening and most times an hour or so.  I’m in Tampa so the heat is an issue, turn down the ac a degree.   My pool pump is 900 watts and runs 10 hours a day, so the amp has little contribution to lower needs.  

I'm not so worried about the heat. Where i live it helps keep the house cozy 6 to 9 months out of the year.  On the other hand, in Massachusetts their crazy "Strategic Electrification" program will mean my next electric bill will show an electric rate in excess of $0.40 per k/W.  So my admitted inefficient, but great sounding system will easily be adding $100.00 per month.  Yes, as class D evolves and improves it will be a consideration.  Yes, i am concerned about the value of my BAT amps and Tube preamps and my fan cooled A/B amps in an already shrinking audiophile market.      

Shrinking audiophile market jimrobie? I think you’ll find the opposite if you talk to dealers here in the US. Tube gear sales has increased considerably and I’m pretty sure audiophiles aren’t worried too much about energy efficient systems. I buy energy efficient cars, refrigerators, dish washers, light bulbs but am not too concerned with my music system. I will listen in the dark if I have to. It’s too good!