DAC Compatible with PS Audio SACD Transport

I have the PS Audio SACD transport on order. The ideal matching DAC to connect the PSA SACD transport is the just released PS Audio Direct Stream DAC II. But at USD8K, the price makes it seem like a bridge too far. Therefore I am looking for  another DAC that is compatible with the PSA SACD transport, for SACD playback via I2S. I am eyeing the Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC as it is reported to be an excellent DAC and is substantially cheaper than the PSA DAC. 

Are there any other DACs that you can recommend? Or do you think I should bite the bullet and get the PSA SACD DAC?

I must admit to being tempted from time to time, as PSA releases regular DAC updates which essentially gets you a new DAC. But then sanity intrudes LOL. 

128x128dcpillai

@dcpillai , I "think" that PSA DAC would be best.  The concern I have about both the Denafrips and Holo Audio is the way in which they use R2R to decode DSD.  Most reviews of these units never discuss.  The DSD D to A system on my TP often does not sound as good as PCM.  This however could be due to the low sample rate i.e. DSD64?

Based on your system description your Chord Hugo TT2 is a competant DAC. I have a Chord Qutest I use in my headphone setup and have tried it in my two channlel system and with my system it is not in the same league as my PS DS MK1. I do understand the Hugo and Chord is not quite apples to oranges, but an Fuji to Granny Smith apples comparison. Since you also own the Qutest, you have first hand eperience with differences. Quite happy with the PS DS MK1. I just saw one used that had the upgraded Edcor XS4400 transformers and JK Richards’ external power supply for a reasonable price. That said the MK2 is an upgrade based on the user reports. PS Audio does allow returns if you want to try the MK2. It is a chunk of change, but likely a worthwhile upgrade.

There is a comparison between your Chord Hugo and the DS MK2 on the PS Audio forum here. I was looking if there was a listing of compatable DACs via I2S with PS Audio tranport on that forum when I saw this.

Esoteric K-05XD will be available in a few weeks. Best CD tray mechanism on the planet, plus a DAC that is worth the likely $8K price alone. Both a high-end DAC and an incredible CD loading system for 8K, IMO the best $8K you can spend. Has digital inputs, including USB, to utilize the DAC. Why spend $6.5K on the PS Audio, then another $3K on the Holo Spring 3 KTE or $5.5K on the Holo Audio May, that puts the total price over $10K..? Unless you need a separate DAC of course. I am in no way connected to Esoteric, just have been in the same situation as you, been looking to upgrade my CD player and was thinking separates, plus want SACD. The Esoteric fits the bill and at a total cost of around $8K for both a CD transport and DAC.

Ah! The last laugh is on me. I got the PS Audio Perfect Wave SACD transport today and upon installation I discovered that it could only play CDs and not SACDs. I could not activate the SACD layer. The technician of the distributor tried and he could not do so either. I am so very and utterly disappointed in PS Audio.

Within 4 hours of installation, the SACD transport is on its way back to the dealer. I have of course asked for a replacement. Not sure whether PS Audio will agree. Not sure whether I will get my money back if PS Audio disagrees. Buyer beware indeed. I have a strong suspicion that I will be heading to the Consumer Claims Tribunal in the near term.

With this development and the continuing issues with the PS Audio DAC MKII (read the posts on the PSA forum), I think that I am going to throw in the towel as far as PS Audio goes.

Post removed