Cube Audio Nenuphar Single Driver Speaker (10 inch) TQWT Enclosure

Cube Audio (Poland) designs single drivers and single driver speakers. 

Principals are Grzegorz Rulka and Marek Kostrzyński.

Link to the Cube Audio Nenuphar (with F10 Neo driver) speaker page: 

https://www.cubeaudio.eu/cube-audio-nenuphar

Link to 6Moons review by Srajan Ebaen (August 2018):

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/cubeaudio2/

----------------------------------------

Parameters (from Cube Audio):

Power: 40 W

Efficiency: 92 dB

Frequency response: 30Hz - 18kHz ( 6db)*

Dimensions: 30 x 50 x 105 cm

Weight: 40 Kg

* Frequency response may vary and depends on room size and accompanying electronic equipment.
david_ten
Bakoon 13R is my preference with the Cubes. I’m using it with the Bakoon DAC21 which is out of production but I’m looking forward to a new dac from Bakoon in the imminent future. Physically the new dac will match the 13R. I’m expecting it not to cost more than the amp.

I’m over joyed with the sound I’m getting with the Cube/Bakoon pairing and I have had great comments from customers. The Bakoon very small, which proves bigger is not always better. I’m finding increasingly people want a simple and uncluttered system.
Any thoughts on the output impedance question? IIRC, the 13R prides itself on low output impedance which should translate in a high damping factor

Robert

The Nenuphar driver was very specifically designed to mate well with high output impedance amplifiers. It utilizes a "powerful" magnet to control the driver.  Srajan Ebaen  certainly confirmed this with his review where he used multiple amplifiers. the higher the output impedance (lower damping factor) the better the sound.

It is quite interesting how some listeners/owners of the speaker are reporting very good sound with amplifiers that don’t meet the desired criteria. It really seems that a high DF amplifier would deaden the sound of the Nenuphar as the driver would be markedly ’over damped’. I realize you have to trust what you hear but this seems very counter intuitive. I wonder what additional factors are involved here.

Charles

There has to be other factors.

As Srajan has said ( 6 Moons Bakoon 13R review) “ Of all the speakers I would saloon around on the Bakoon, Nenuphar was the hostess with the mostest”.
Hi guys,
Im a bit late to the party here but being a Nenuphar owner I thought I should contribute my nothing but positive experience with these magical speakers. I’ve had them for about a year. They were Refined Audio’s 2019 AXPONA demos. My last speakers were RETHM Trisha’s so I was already soaked in the single driver widebander koolaide. At first I was powering them with an Audion 2A3 which has a preamp section and was more than enough power for digital sources. It didn’t quite make it happen with the lower signal of my phono stage. I tried a few line stages, I couldn’t find the synergy I was looking for. By luck I was able to buy one of the last SIT 3s available. I also sold/replaced the rest of my kit and arrived at where I am now which for me is grail level. The Nenuphars powered by the First Watt SIT3, The Truth buffered no gain linestage, Sutherland 20/20 phonostage, VPI Classic 2 SE, Ortofon 2M White SE mono cartridge currently mounted while waiting for new Soundsmith Paua stereo cart. I had been listening to a Grado Reference 2. The Nenuphar and SIT 3 could not work better for the music I listen to which is 80% acoustic. The other 20% is Steely Dan, Allmans, some old fusion, nothing too grungy. This system loves Steely Dan. Right now though for analog I am stuck in mono until my new cartridge comes. I was just listening to the 45rpm mono pressing of Billie Holiday Body and Soul. It was so present and so beautiful I was utterly in awe of her and her band. Srajan said these speakers are a benign psychotropic drug if you are receptive enough to get it. I find that when I am able to be that relaxed into it, and with the right recording, there is a deep sonic architecture occurring. An album that demonstrates this in way that I could hardly believe is the MoFi One Step of Yes, Fragile. I don’t listen to much prog anymore in my advanced years but it was huge part of my youth and I had to have this album. What the sound of this record coming through these speakers does in my minds eye is astonishing. I gained a whole new respect for Eddie Offord.
I have heard a few true cost no object systems. I truly think the only thing any of them has over my system is the ability to produce scale.
The actual scale of a symphony or ZZ Top live. None of them had the kind of intimacy I felt with Lady Day a little while ago and that’s what I was shooting for when I chose my components. I want Gillian Welch or Joan Baez or Janos Starker to be present. I don’t care if I feel a kick drum in my chest.
The Cube Nenuphar give me everything I could want. The only upgrade I wound ever make from here is the turntable and I don’t really feel a need for that.
FYI: I’ve noted that Peter B and others are placing them close to the front wall. That does not work in this room at all. My optimum location is 60" from front wall to drivers. 7’ apart driver to driver. Listening position in 7’ triangle with that. Toe in just a few degrees, found by by ear to optimize center image/soundstage relationship.