Counterfeit Chinese Cables

I thought that I would write this for those who are curious about one of the many counterfeit Chinese interconnect cables that are available these days. I know that there have been threads about the subject before, and I was always curious because they seem to be such a bargain. I don't really recall much about what any members actually said about the performance of these counterfeit cables, and I didn't look back and do any research, but a couple of months ago there was a thread that came around to discussing the quality of Chinese made components, and oldhvymec said something that made sense to me.

He said that people that say that what they are making is junk should consider that much of what is in our gear, and a lot of our American brands are actually manufactured there. I decided shortly after that that I would take the chance on a set of interconnects, because I suspected that the interconnects going from my pre to my amp were the weak link and needed upgrading. The interconnects going from my DAC to my pre were Kimber Select which are very good, but the other set were LAT International (now defunct) which had cost $500.00 when new, but I had reason to believe they were lacking because I have one of their digital cables that turned out to be very poor sounding in comparison to others I own.

I decided on a one meter pair of counterfeit Nordost Odin interconnects for a total of $104.00 from Aliexpress. I received them a couple of weeks later. They appeared to be well made, and the locking fake WBT rca's were very impressive and are very tight. 

First impressions after installing them were light, thin sound, lacking bass. Each couple of days brought improvements, but from the beginning I noticed that they were quieter. Now, weeks later, I can say that they are drastically better that the LAT's in every way. Detail and ambience are much better, but it's the focus and separation of instruments that is most noticeable. 

I have no way of knowing if they are really a copy of the Nordost design, but I am impressed enough that I am going to try a counterfeit Nordost digital cable.

Obviously, this isn't a comparison that is useful to most, because there probably isn't anyone here using the LAT's, and everything is system dependent. I just wanted to relay my positive experience. 

Nordost ODIN&2 RCA Fever Audio Signal Cable Double Lotus Sterling Silver Audio Cord Video CD Amplifier Tube Cable High Quality| | - AliExpress

128x128roxy54

Pretty soon the slaves in Pukistan or India will be counterfeitting the Chinese counterfeits.

It's called "The Global Economy"

Pretty soon , some one like you (like I did) will hear (if you open your ears) like I did, the CCC sound as good if not better , then the $700.00 speaker cables I have had. The music is what it's all about!!!!!  Do not poke that stick in your ear!!!!

Love the Music

"I’m not interested in buying fake cables just to pretend I have Cardas or Nordost. Just looking for a good value cable."

Tubeguy76:

You could do much worse than purchasing the Aliexpress Accuphase 40th cables, both power and interconnect. 

I started off with one of the power cables and now have 6 of them. Was using the Chinese Nordost Odin Gold RCA's (yeah for $50-$60, I knew that I was not buying the real thing which Nordost sells for $30K ;)) and they had replaced some very well known and highly regarded $300-$400 IC's but bought a few of the Accuphase IC's-they are ridiculously inexpensive at around $25 pair-and felt them to be an improvement on the fake Odin Golds (which I compared to real Nordost Valhalla version 1 in a friend's much more expensive system and actually preferred the Chinese cables), which have now moved to my secondary system. 

Also splurged on the Accuphase USB cable and it did not disappoint either. 

Probably wouldn't spring for the speaker cables though and am not making any changes there at the moment-currently using cryoed Mogami 3103 and no real desire to change-it is a very good cable. 

On the Ali speaker cables, the ones that usually get the most buzz are the ribbon Valhallas. Have a few friends using those, one in a very high end system (Transrotor turntable with Reed arm, Threshold amplification, top of the line Coincident speakers etc.), and they do sound very good. 

As I've mentioned here before, the Accuphase power cable is being sold under a different name here on Audiogon for $350 and up (depending on length) with some rave reviews. Or you can purchase on Ali direct for about $40-$50. 

@hdm  Thank you, that's the feedback I was looking for, much appreciated.  I was looking at the Accuphase cables and the ribbon Valhallas so it seems I'm on the right track.

@tubeguy76 i feel these  Chinese Odin cables are exceptional value and sound very good.  Better than many more expensive lines.  I bought the Valhalla ribbon white speaker cables and they are excellent once broken in at 75 + hours. Mine were branded Audiocrast but identical.  I had them on both my systems and was very happy.  Bested Nordost Odin 2 silver round speaker cables, Mogami and Dh labs Q-10 very noticeably.  I moved on in my main system when I  Came across a used pair of Goertz MI 3 copper ribbon speaker cables.  They have amazing performance for their price…not to get sidetracked.  Also have several Odin gold power cables, Odin gold IC’s, Odin silver IC and ethernet.  All perform way a over their price and compare very favorably to my favorite cable line Audio Envy.  Some SS components the Odin’s sound as good or better than AE.  Tube gear AE all the way. Just my experience with my systems, ears, and  taste preference.