Best Speakers for 10' x 12' room?

I am putting together a new system for my upstairs office where I do most of my listening and moving the current system downstairs and would love help finding the best speakers.

I have been listening to the B & W 805D with a REL 238 sub & stands, and the Wilson Audio Duette (under 9K for demo model with stands). I wonder about auditioning the Duette 2's, which people say are better, but they are 10K more.
I am also open to other possibilities as well.

I would love to hear people's experiences with any of these speakers or others that work well in a small room. In most ways I like the Duette's a great deal more, but the 805D's were warmer and I am wondering if that is because they were played on Mcintosh equipment. I think of trying the Wilson Audio Duette's with the McInosh amp/pre-amp - Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank-you,
mksr
My understanding of the Duette II's is they're designed strictly for near wall placement versus the original Duette's that have the option for either near wall or free space placement.

I picked up a pair of the original Duette's about a two months ago to replace a pair of Avalon Ascendants and I couldn't be happier. Mine are in my 22' by 16' family room which will never be a dream music room.

I went with Sound Anchor stands instead of the Wilson stands which saved a few bucks. Another reason I went with the Sound Anchor stands is since I have thick carpeting, I figured the larger base on the Sound Anchor's would make them more stable than the Wilson stands that have a smaller base.

Hello Pulsar fans,

We just got in the Source Technlogies Xl 1.7 $3,000 monitor made by the original designer of the Infinite Slope crossover technology, John Socelleto, he sold the rights to those designs to Joseph Audio when he decided to downsize JSE which was growing too big in the 80's.

His new company uses many of the same crossover techniques and the same fantastic Seas XL magnesium midrange, with a 1 inch soft dome, long story short a ridiculous $7k worth of performance for $3,000.00

Not as good as the Jantsen ZA 2.1 I also recommended
but an fantastic mini monitor.
Mksr - well since you asked...

1- First I would advise you get a copy of Jim Smith's Book "Get Better Sound" and read it from cover to cover.

2- Test your room with analysis software. You will need a laptop, software program and a calibration microphone. You can pay someone else to do this, but cheaper and it's easy to do yourself, and you will learn a lot in the process. There are many sw applications for PC and mac, some free and some $. The free apps are good but not great, so just pick one that has instructions that you can understand and go.

If you are going all digital (as in from a PC or music server), you might simply try using an active room EQ software in the signal path. I am very impressed with a product called Dirac Live Room Correction Suite. They recently introduced a less expensive, 2-channel only version that IMO works great.

3- After you have tested your room and have an analysis, you can either send it to a professional for guidance ($$$), send it to a room treatment product vendor or learn how to analyze the data yourself. It's not that hard.

4- Treat the room, but don't over-treat. I suggest starting small and adding more if needed. Most rooms your size will benefit from bass traps in the corners. You might also add some absorption and diffusion, but again I recommend starting with a minimal approach and adding more as needed. Don't go overboard with product. You are not going to make a 10x12 room acoustically perfect for all speakers, merely listenable for a select few.

5- Select your speakers, based on your room analysis, room treatments and physical limitations (can you place the speakers against the back wall or can they come out into the room, do they need to be placed on a shelf or ???) If possible, try any speaker first in your room and with your gear before buying, or make sure that you have a good try and buy or return policy.

There are lots and lots of great speakers out there, and many that will work well in your (hopefully now treated) room. But here are some general guidelines that have worked for me in my small room (but YMMV):
- select the smallest speakers that will provide you with the sound that you seek. Standmount monitors work VERY well in small rooms (should be obvious, no?)

- I have found that speakers utilizing a single point source tend to sound better, are easier to place and require less room treatment than widely placed, multiple drivers

- I would try suggest that you avoid dipole or radial speakers, with the possible exception of the Quad 57. The placement requirements are too challenging for a 10x12 room

- think low power amps - SETs or small PP tube amps and low powered MOSFET/OPAMP SS units will work very well if mated to a pair of relatively high efficiency speakers

- if it's to your liking, corner placement and/or or small horns can sound marvelous in a small room

- some may advocate nearfield listening. You can try that - it's not my cup of tea. But if it works for you you might be able to avoid doing anything at all to the room.

I hope that this is useful. Have fun!
Br3098 - So, so, so helpful!!!! It is a little overwhelming, but I will take it one step at a time, starting with the book you mentioned. I have narrowed it down to 3 sets of speakers - Wilson Duette's, Magico S1, B & W 805D & I hope to audition the Joseph Audio Pulsar since so many people have raved about them and they are in my price range. The Magico S1's are floorstanding speakers, but they are 2 way speakers & seem like they are designed to not overwhelm a small room. They all seem like good choices & then will see if I can learn how to treat my room (or find somebody to help me).

Thank-you,