BAT Preamp Output Design Changes - Why?

I’ve been looking at the recent preamp offerings from Balanced Audio Technology (BAT). I notice that they are now touting transformer coupled (2nd generation) outputs – moving away from capacitor coupled.

When the company first debuted (to much acclaim I might add) their highly regarded preamps: the VK-3 and VK-5 (and variants), they were transformer coupled designs, but then BAT moved away from using output transformers for many years. They have now moved back to transformers. Any idea on why this flip-flop in preamp design? Afterall, neither transformers nor capacitors are new technologies – why such a major change in design approach?

captc2

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. Your comments confirmed my suspicious as to why the move back to transformers, which were: 1) market access - compatibility with more amps; 2) The sound (bass roll-off), and; 3) reliability as caps sooner or later will need to be replaced. While I agree there has been some evolutionary movement in materials/caps/transformers/wire/cores, etc., it does make me wonder why BAT moved away from transformers in the first place – seems like the first approach was the right one. Regardless, I’m looking forward to hearing my first BAT with transformer coupled outputs very soon.

Cheers.

Any idea on why this flip-flop in preamp design? Afterall, neither transformers nor capacitors are new technologies – why such a major change in design approach?

@captc2 By using coupling capacitors, the preamp, although balanced, was unable to support the balanced line standard also known as AES48 (which is a connection standard, also defines how the grounds are connected). There is no such standard for single-ended operation FWIW.

When coupling caps are used, the ground becomes part of the circuit return path, which means the ground is involved with the signal. This opens the preamp to ground loops, something that isn't supposed to happen with balanced operation.

A transformer OTOH easily supports the standard. This is beneficial as it allows the preamp to drive longer cables and to reduce interconnect cable artifact.

Historically speaking one of the founders of BAT was a customer of ours; evidently the BAT designer took inspiration from our designs- at the time we were the only manufacturer in high end audio using a circuit called the Circlotron. We obtained a patent for its use at the preamp level and I suspect they didn't want to get involved with infringement; our patent allowed for a reliable direct-coupled output that supports AES48.  So they used coupling caps but lost a lot of the benefit of balanced operation since the standard wasn't supported. I suspect this move is to reclaim that benefit- transformers are very good at this sort of thing.