Asking for guidance on my first hi-fi system...

Hello, this is my first post here and I am hoping to gain a little confidence in making a purchase of an integrated amp for a nice two channel music only system. I recently built my own speakers, (the Jim Holtz Mini Statements) and auditioned them at my friends house on two different high end audio systems.... Rogue, Electrocompaniet, Van Alstine are a few names I remember of his gear. He helped me confirm that my speakers sound very nice and are a good starting point to build upon. My budget is 500.00 or less for an amp. Currently I use an Onkyo HT-R520 home theatre receiver, set on "Direct" listening mode. Obviously, my speakers don't sound as good with the Onkyo. I believe the bass is over emphasized and the mids and highs are a little lacking in detail.
Here are my objectives:
1. Stay within budget
2. Find something that will sound better and resolve the weaknesses of the Onkyo

Currently I am interested in a 300 to 400 dollar Carver CM 1090 integrated amp. Would this be a wise choice given it's age? or should I be looking at a new NAD, or ?????

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
jfmerk
Yes, by all means, enjoy the giddy pleasures of your new kit! I usually rediscover my whole music collection when I've made a change.
In the early history of the US, there were these people who traveled around selling ointments and potions who promised cures for all manner of ailments. These people were called snake oil salesmen.

Indeed, I could say "I have tried snake oil and I couldn't tell the difference", but that wouldn't be telling the whole story.

The whole story is that a significant portion of the audiophile community believes that power cords make a difference. They plug in an exotic power cord, strain to hear a difference, and indeed, there it is.

I have asked these same audiophiles to try doing a blind test. In every case, they decline to do so, saying they'd rather not know. You know, people feel strongly attached to the things they own. By buying an exotic power cord, you sort of self-select into the group that believes in exotic power cables. Not always, but sometimes.

Look, 40 or 50 million Americans smoke cigarettes. Cigarette smoking is very bad for you. It does not insult Americans that cigarette smoking is bad for you.

A number of audiophiles have exotic power cords. Exotic power cords are indistinguishable in blind testing from ordinary and well engineered power cords. It does not insult exotic power cord owners that such power cords are indistinguishable.
This is really an interesting topic to me because as a rookie in the world of audiophiles, I'm like a sponge, trying to learn as much as I can. From a completely personal perspective, I've been a DIY type my entire life. ( I'm 51). So I've been able to learn a lot from my own experiences, good and bad. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken my vehicles to a shop for repair since I learned how to drive... and I've always bought used vehicles. I have always enjoyed trying to understand how things work, why they aren't working and resolving the underlying problem. From that, comes my logical and analytical approach to nearly all of my decisions. Therefore, with respect to power cords, I tend to think in terms of AC current, voltage and resistance. Too much resistance is a bad thing, so be sure a power cord provides a free and easy pathway from a power outlet to the audio device and your set. Just a good solid copper conductor.

Now, on the other hand, I am completely open to the idea and WILL cast aside analysis and logic in exchange for letting my ears provide the information for me to base a decision. On two separate occasions recently, what I "heard" gave me tons of information and guided my decision making process relating to upgrading from my Onkyo HT receiver. For example, when I finished building my speakers, my friend (Jeff) came over with his Van Alstine amp and VTL preamp so we could have a listen to my speakers through quality equipment. I had been listening to music all afternoon while he made his way to my house. When he arrived, no time was wasted getting things connected and I'll never forget that moment... I had my back turned to what was going on and suddenly there was music and it made me spin around and ask what happened? The music sounded incredibly different and in a beautifully way! Jeff said something to the effect of "well of course it sounds better!" At that moment, my ears gave me all the information I needed to realize I must upgrade my Onkyo.

Again, very interesting discussion.... I think it would be really interesting to conduct a variety of tests for the purpose of gather facts. Certainly we have the technology to measure all kinds of information from the sound a speaker produces. So let's power up a system with a $3,800.00 power cord and a 50' Home Depot extension cord and see what the data says.

In the end, I fully respect "to each his own!" And I will continue being a sponge. Thanks!

The posts here certainly aren't going to tell the whole story about blind tests; whole books have been written about them and they have long ago been discounted by the mainstream scientific community as a reliable measure of whether a perception is valid or not. Why don't flat earth society members start a "power cords don't work" thread and leave the rest of us alone? The answer is pretty clear.

The fact that they can't be satisfied with merely posting their own listening experiences ( which they have yet to do here, btw) says quite a bit. A very wise engineer once said, "If you haven't listened yourself, you don't HAVE an opinion." The best and most civil advice is to listen for yourself. Borrow a cord and it won't cost you a dime. It'd be great if the debate were to end with that but and we could return to sharing what we love, but this will probably degenerate into the usual, pointless p***ing match. Is it any wonder the hobby is shrinking?
You really think the hobby is shrinking because people disagree about power cords? I don't think that's the reason.

Differences between preamps, amplifiers and speakers are readily and scientifically explained.

It's a free country: buy exotic power cables if you want. I would just recommend you try a blind test.

Because the power of suggestion is very strong. Isn't it interesting that people sometimes describe maple isolation stands as organic, silver interconnects as cold and analytical, and copper interconnects as warm?

I wonder what would happen if you only told someone that an interconnect was made with silver, but you actually substituted a copper pair?