ARCAM rDAC

I am wondering if anyone got this here in NOrth america? I can't find any discussion about this new product. Anyhow, any thoughts on the overall sound about their USB async transfer by dCS? I really want this but as I search from my local arcam dealer they don't have it YET..

Thank you

Jason
jastorg1
I'm a huge Rega fan. My Apollo sounds perfect in my system. I bough an Apple TV to use as a music server around April/May last year. My intent was to make it sound as good or better than my Apollo. If I can acheive that, I'd be done for a long time.

When I was contemplating the idea, my dealer (who also sells Naim, Linn, and Arcam) told me Naim was developing a DAC that may or may not be entry level. Everyone thought it would be 5i level (like the Nait 5i and CD5i), but he was pretty confident it would be higher end due to his long time dealings with Naim and knowing how they operate. He was right. He said Rega was reportedly developing a DAC on the Apollo level (price wise). He thought that would be a long way off even though word on the street was it would come out around the same time as the Naim DAC. He was right again. A year and a half later, no official mention of anything from Rega.

I started a thread a few months back (under the name Stu Pitt, which is what I go by on a few other forums) on Pink Fish Media, which is pre-dominantly UK guys and several dealers. A bunch of guys said Rega plans on release a DAC in the $1k range by the end of the summer/early fall. It reminds me of what I heard last year from my dealer, almost verbatum.

While I don't think those guys are lying, I doubt it'll happen any time soon for several reasons:

The DAC market is probably the hottest segment right now. Why wouldn't they formally announce something that's a few months away?

I'm pretty sure they'd announce or show a non-working display at a show before the DAC debuts to generate a buzz.

People say Rega is very tight lipped. I doubt that - They announced the Isis and Osiris and debuted non-working prototypes that hadn't even had the visual stuff finalized about 9 months before they confirmed the release date. The Apollo was announced at least 6 months before it finally replaced the Planet 2000.

If they're as close as people think, why wouldn't Rega mention it? Do you really think they'll just ship it to dealers without anyone knowing about it?

I'm pretty confidant that they are developing one. They'd be very stupid not to. But as my dealer said - don't hold your breath. I've been waiting a year and a half. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if it'll be another year and a half.

Arcam is a pretty safe bet IMO. They make great stuff (I'd still rather a Rega DAC). The DAC will be $479, which isn't cheap to me, but not a huge risk either. I'm pretty sure if Rega comes out with a DAC next year that I have to have, I'll be able to sell the rDAC for not much loss. Or I can keep it around for a second system or as a second DAC improve video sound to my system if the Rega DAC doesn't have enough inputs. I think the rDAC will be too good to let go of for the money.

The Pink Fish Media thread I started is called "Anyone know if Rega has a DAC on the horizon" if you're interested.
I just followed up with the Pink Fish thread. A gentleman said Rega informed their dealers and Rega has a prototype. The same person prevoiusly stated August or September release for 500 GBP (about $1k?).

If it arrives in UK shops in September or October, it'll probably take a month or so longer to get here. Maybe more?

I hate guessing games. Just formally announce it.
I have one. I sourced it from the UK; I don't know if it's available in the US yet. The wall wart is universal, so I think we'll get the same unit here in the US when it does arrive.

I got it in anticipation of a Red Wine Audio-based setup, but right now have it feeding an April Aura Note via the Note's AUX input, into Omega single-driver speakers. The Note has its own USB input, and I've also messed around with driving it with a NuForce uDAC and a Centrance DACport. The rDAC is better than any of them. Most noticeable to me is a large, really well-defined soundstage and a really crisp presentation. I'm not noticing any particular coloration, it just sounds really good.

Talking with others who have more experience than I do, it seems that you need to get up to, say, the PS Audio DL 3 level to do better than the DACport, and the rDAC is better, so I think it's in that neigbhorhood anyway.

I got it because it's small and well-specced - good components and asynchronous USB, at a relatively low price. I'm very happy with it.

Hope that helps.
Sorry - also, feeding the rDAC via USB from a PC, so the above is all with respect to the USB input.
I have had my rDac for 2 weeks now and have 50 hrs on it.
I use it soley USB from various computer set up's (Mac/W7/Linux) all running 4Gb Ram and SSD's and lossless files of varying descriptions.

I like this dac. It has an ease via usb that I have not experienced before. Bass is tight and controlled. Highs are extended. It is hyper detailed. Accurate. Overall very impressive kit. You see deep into a recording. Is best with simple music. Falls apart a little on orchestral. But hey - what does one expect for $400 or so.

It improves with burn in. Or my ears get used to it the more I listen. One or the other.

I would be interested to hear it against the QB9.

Regards
Andrew