Advice buying a Music Server? Just Olive 4HD?

Hi All,

I have a custom tube preamp/amp and a Rega Apollo for my CD collection. It is wonderful, but I dream of having my CDs all ripped onto a simple and quiet device, that wirelessly synchronizes music from my macbook when I rip it / download.

I do not want a Squeezebox + DAC [I do not want to have to use a computer with my stereo and I do not want two components, just one simple device].

I do not want a RedWine Audio IPOD, although this represents almost what I need [easy music synching with my library of Apple lossless files, easy UI, improved acoustics, etc.]. Here the sound is not quite what I want, and the storage is limited by the iPod.

It seems like the Olive 4HD is the only thing out there that has plenty of storage, WiFi for easy music synchronization, and high quality DAC componentry. But $2500 seems crazy.

I don't need the Olive CD transport [I can rip on my macbook]. I don't need internet radio. Is there really no $1000 solution to this problem? The Olive 3HD just makes me think that I'll want a better DAC, so please don't point me there.

Thoughts?
thanks,
Keith
kbigelow

The software converts the AIFF to Apple lossless before it streams it and the AE coverts it back to 16/44.1.

Herman, could you elaborate a little bit on how AE does any conversion, if any at all? AIFF and Apple LossLess are both 44.1kHz/16-bit resolution but their data transfer rates differ, perhaps this was what you were referring to.

Kbigelow, I agree with earlier recommendations, the AppleTV+DAC+contoller (iPod Touch, iPad, or iPhone) is an excellent solution at a very comfortable budget even if you buy a new iPod Touch (lowest model, 8GB) to use as remote control. This solution is perfect for those who may not need a NAS at this time, perhaps because their CD collection is not that large yet (maybe <500). 160GB can get you a long way even at Apple LossLess or AIFF formats.

I use Sonos for a music server system but also have an AppleTV dedicated to a television setup and it's great device as a music server as well.
ALAC is compressed. That file size is about 40% smaller than AIFF and can't be played directly. It must be processed to re-create the 16/44.1 data just like iTunes must decompress ALAC before it can play it.

As I understand it the streaming computer takes the AIFF file and compresses it into ALAC so less data must be transmitted., streams it to the AE, which decompresses it to 16/44.1. There are some who feel this active compressing/decompressing degrades the sound.. otherwise why have AIFF at all? Others say this is nonsense and the sound is identical since the data is identical.. I suppose like most things you would have to try it and see if you can here a difference.

Keith,

Your post is right on the money. I desperately want to upgrade my digital frontend but don't want a new CD player... hi-rez downloads are what I'm looking for. I find it hard to believe that there are so few choices for an all in one solution in the $1000 - $1500 range. I suppose the new Olive 3hd is an option, but no wifi or digital out... really? I hope that companies that normally play in the $1000 to $2000 range answer the call soon (perhaps Cambridge, Rega, Music Hall, etc).

SB
Bryston is releasing a digital player (not sure what to call it), the BDP-1. I don't think it streams music, I think you connect a hard drive via USB - regular or thumb drive. It's kind of hard to describe. Google search it for info. It'll cost $2100.
You could just get a Logitech / Slim Devices unit modded by someone such as Boulder Cable. I have not tried it, but I bet this would be a great and simple way to go. I have a Wavelength Audio Brick. These can be had used for $750 to $800 and are upgradeable to 24/96 for $250. I found it to be plug and play.