2 subwoofer???

Hi All,

I've heard that using two subwoofers eliminates many problems associated with having only one. If this is true, can they be any 2, or do they have to be similar or identical subs?

thanks in advance,
rustler
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler
How does one go about hooking up two subwoofers?

Any companies known for the quality of their amplifiers?

Two subs can't go lower than each's ratings, though, can they? I know the 10" Hsu goes to 25 Hz and the 12" goes to 20. Does the qualitative difference end at how low the subs can reproduce the deepest bass? In other words, is the biggest advantage in clarity, stability, tightness, musicality?

rustler
I run two Rel Storm IIIs with my Audio Physic Virgo IIs. I ran a test CD to set up my Cross over point on my Rels. I found in my large room my Virgos roll off at about approx 38 Hz. Higher than the 34 Hz rating. My Rels at about approx 22-24 Hz. Again not as low as rated. I have my Rel cross overs set at 36 Hz. So every room becomes part of a complex setup problem to maximize the intergration of the subs with the the speakers. All of us who do not have dedicated sound rooms must compromise. Just find what works best in your room and situation. I run my Rels high level inputs off the speaker posts (most Subs do not have high level inputs). That way I get Left and Right channel subs...works best in my room, I have a very cohesive union of sub & speaker. Tight articulate base that seems to work magic all the way into the mids. I used Stereophiles first test CD and a well known setup CD the sound track to the movie Sneakers. The track is called "Cosmo...Old Friend"
Good luck, Greg
So, can someone list ways to set up two subs to run in stereo, or does this just mean that you connect the subs via rca or xlr into your pre-proc and then eq them.
Connections, etc.:
With active subs, you can connect a Y cable to split the sub output at the pre/pro or receiver. Or you can connect one sub at the LFE output, and wire the 2nd sub w/ speaker wire as the left/right front speakers and connect those speakers to the sub.
Quality Subwoofers:
Hsu Research has earned good marks for its subwoofers. I have never auditioned one nor researched the amplifiers used by Hsu. Sunfire (Bob Carver) makes outstanding active subwoofers with powerful high quality amps. Some others in this group: Sonance, M & K, Velodyne, NHT, Martin Logan Descent, Vandersteen, Definitive Technology Supercube and Orb Audio’s Super Eight. All of these subs reach deep into the low range (to 14 Hz) and can move a lot of air. The specs don’t tell the whole story. A sub should be matched to the other speakers in the system to achieve the best performance. Ultimately, performance should be evaluated in your home not in a store or a lab. In some cases, I couldn’t tell the difference between subs rated lower (Hz) from ones whose bottom was a few Hz higher. Some 8” and 9” subs like the Sunfire SuperJunior and Orb Audio Super Eight outperform and sound much better than some 10” subwoofers. For music vs Home Theater use, I prefer a subwoofer capable of longer excursion for higher frequency reproduction especially in a sub/satellite system. For an in-depth discussion of subwoofer design check out Bob Carver’s “White Papers” at Sunfire.com under “technology” and “Sunfire True Subwoofer Whitepapers.”