Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

Showing 46 responses by ei001h

I've been enjoying Julia Fischer for few days. Truly impressive. Loved her Dvorak concerto. 

I'm getting into Bruch violin concerto, looking for recommendations for LPs. So far heard Fischer, Oistrakh and Kyung Chung. 

Are there any good stereo recordings on Vinyl by Sofronitsky ? looking on eBay there are quite a few but not sure if they're mono or stereo. Are there any specific LPs that you'd consider as must have? I see most of Sofronitisy is recorded on Melodiya, I'm guessing the soviets didnt let him out much. 
I've been obsessed with Schubert for the past 7-8 months. I'm completely in love with his music. I've found many a great pianist, including Volodos, Lupu etc. Recently discovered Shura Cherkassky. There are ample recordings on Tidal and Qobuz. Youtube has many performances as well. What are your thoughts on this guy? Have you had a chance to see him live? Here are a few pieces from YouTube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOBajKsgcVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Axnmi2Qn4
Just heard Cherkassky playing Rachmaninoff's Variations on the theme of Paganini. Wow. Never heard an interpretation like that. Is this type of playing considered outdated? I've heard sofronitsky play in a similar fashion. Whatever they play sounds new, their interpretations make the pieces sound as if I'm hearing them for the first time. 
Is anyone familiar with Daniil Trifonov's work? He's a Russian pianist who's quickly becoming a giant that may one day rival the likes of Gilels and Richter, imo. I stumbled upon him 6 years ago when he played Prokofiev's 3rd concerto in Lincoln center NYC. He's been on my radar since. He's got several world class recordings already, check out tidal and youtube.  My favorites: 

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto no. 1 
Rachmaninov concerto 2 and 4 with Gergiev (most recent recording)
Schubert Quintett Forellen, Trout
Chopin Evocations 

He's touring NJ, NC, VA, NY Carnegie hall this winter

Carnegie Hall NEW YORK, NY       Feb 9, 2019

BEETHOVEN: Andante in F Major, WoO 57 (“Andante favori”)
BEETHOVEN: Piano Sonata No. 18 in E-flat major, op. 31, no. 3
SCHUMANN: Bunte Blätter, op. 99
SCHUMANN: Presto passionato, op. 22
PROKOFIEV: Piano Sonata No. 8 in B-flat major

rvpiano 
I completely agree, I found his playing uninspiring and rather dull. 
Has anyone heard Denis Matsuev? I personally think he's the best all around concert pianist currently in the world and has been for at least past 5 years. Just curious what others think. He's recorded most of the Russian piano masterpiece repertoire. I think his recordings are a perfect gateway into all major Russian masterpieces. Everything available on Tidal. Most impressive works: (all available on tidal with superb sound quality as versions of SACD)

Prokofiev piano concerto no 2, easily bests everything out there including Michel Beroff, Toradze, Horacio Gutierrez, Vladimir Krainev etc. Listen to that Cadenza in first movement, mesmerizing. 

Tchaikovsky piano Concerto 1 and 2. His second concerto is less well known and played, Matsuev kills it. 

Shostakovich piano concerto 1 and 2. Not very profound pieces, yet he squeezes everything he can out of them. 

Prokofiev PC no 3, right up there with all the best imo. 

Rach 2 and 3 excellent. Check out youtube versions. First movement cadenza at 10:10 is one of my favorites. Few versions on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRYSuGQfiqE&t=682s

thoughts? 
Having seizure like activity seems to be in style for a modern pianist.  Matsuev reminds me of Gilels in that sense, minimal upper body movement. I totally agree with jim about Mitsuko, quite distasteful. As for Khatia Buniatishvili, I don't think she's even in the same universe with Matsuev. All these young Russian women get on stage half naked and get praised for their "technique". How about Lola Astanova? Nearly a million views on youtube. Check out this talent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdDLvED_4E

Just heard few pieces by Khatia and currently listening Pictures. I take back what I said, she's astounding. I was quick to judge based on her youtube appearance. 
Maybe I need to take a closer listen. To which recordings are you referring  specifically ? 

What about Boris Giltburg? Just heard his Rach 3 on Tidal, very impressive tone. 
Finally getting into Schubert. Stumbled on Krystian Zimerman CD on Tidal, Piano Sonatas 959 and 960. I can't get enough. Does anyone know any other pianist who is known for Schubert? Preferably high quality recording. 

Also, RVpiano, check out Khatia buniatishvili's new Schubert CD which is partially available on Tidal and Amazon. I'm totally mesmerized by her playing Standchen S. 560.  
Ständchen, S. 560 (Trans. from Schwanengesang No. 4, D. 957)
jim and jcazador

Take a listen 3 movements of Petrushka by Khatia Buniatishvili new CD Kalkeidoscope. Not many pianists attempt this piece. Pollini was the first version I heard and in my mind is the reference. But I was also moved by Khatias playing. She has an interesting interpretation of Pictures at an Exhibition here as well. Anyone know other notable recordings of petrushka? 
I've been listening to Schubert Trio #2 by Rubenstein and Fournier. Beautiful work, truly a masterpiece. 

I am partial to Brahms # 2 and # 3
I like #1 too but its an early work and first movement is a bit too long. Last 3rd movement is masterful. Trio #3 is tightly woven, a hauntingly beautiful work in a minor key. Trio #2 is one of my favorite of all classical pieces - more joyous in a major key. 
Just discovered Grigory Sokolov. Not very well known in the US, and not many recordings to choose from. But his live performance of Schubert and Beethoven on DG is unparalleled. Full video available on Amazon prime. I can not stop listening to this guy. His sound and tone are truly unique. 
Also, check out his Mozart Salzburg recital, also a live performance. 

Has anyone heard this guy live? 
I'm looking to switch from Tidal to a more specialized streaming service for classical. There are two competing services: Idagio and prime phonic. Anyone with experience in either please let me know. 
twoleftears:

I’ve been listening to Currentzis Tchaikovsky 6th and while I find some aspects of it enjoyable (spotlight miking of instruments) while other aspects such as overuse of EQ and heavy compression ruin the whole piece. Close miking of strings make them sound very sharp and aggressive for the lack of a better word.  Zero dynamics in all 4 movements. The intensity of playing has no correlation to the volume. I think the mixing engineers overshadowed currentzis here.  It was probably made to sound great in AirPods. This guy definitely polarizes opinions. I'm thinking about attending his debut in NYC in November.

Daniil Trifanov just came out with a CD destination
Rachmaniov featuring Rach 3 and Rach 1. It’s available on Tidal. His 2nd and 4th concertos released earlier this year were quite good. Not sure what to make of his interpretation of the 3rd. I expected more from Trifanov. Has anyone heard it? Thoughts?

Khatia Buniatishvili’s Rach 3 blew me away. I believe the Russians are unmatched when it comes to Rachmaninov. Matsuev, Volods, Gavrilov, Gilels. All superb in my opinion. Not a fan of Rachmaninov’s own recording of his concertos. I don’t think he was pleased with them either.

I’ve been enjoying Volodos and Schubert. Also like Sofronitsky’s Schubert (the art of Sofronitsky). Are there any other sonically good recordings  of Sofronitsky? Any other masters of Schubert ?
Richter plays Schubert live in Moscow. A 10 hour marathon of Schubert's sonatas. I fell asleep with my headphones. Surprisingly good sonics for such an old recording. Has anyone heard this set? 

Jcazador: I enjoyed gavrilov film on youtube, thank you. 
The set I’m referring to is on Tidal. It’s different than the 1979 BBC recording.

https://www.amazon.com/Richter-Plays-Schubert-Live-Moscow/dp/B074511WM8/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=richter+...

I thought this review was accurate

This is pure Desert Island paradise! A set to listen to for eternity. Richter offers endless riches that will leave you enthralled and wanting to come back for more and more every day. As a Schubertian of time-honored service, his Moscow interpretations offer profound spiritual insights, practically note-perfect playing, and the contemplative concentration of a true master. There are lots of virtuoso flashes, but always to illuminate and probe the depths of Schubert’s genius. Richter’s Schubert is both serious and affectionate, charming by example, with urgent purpose, but without grandstanding. The persuasive power of his giant technique coupled with wisdom, precision, and restraint where required make this generous presentation of a Moscow string of recitals a model listening experience. The audiences are for the most part well-behaved, despite the occasional coughs, sighs, and applause, which are thankfully kept way in the background. Unlike many of Richter’s earliest Schubert recordings, these are not the primitive, muffled stock that typified Soviet postwar and 1950’s grammophone technology. The notes come through clearly, and although it may lack the ultimate 21st century acoustic refinement, the ear quickly accepts the monaural sound to enable easy listening to the more than 9 hours of musical enchantment. I don’t believe I have ever heard these Moscow performances until this release. Several of the sonatas here get multiple performances, but that does not seem bothersome, since the artist is always offering something new and fascinating to say. Schubert-playing by Brendel, Pollini, Curzon, Schiff, Perahia, and others certainly cannot be totally dismissed by this collection. But don’t hesitate about taking in Richter’s encore performances of Sonatas No. 6, 13, 15, 21, and the grand Wanderer Fantasy (which he also recorded for EMI in stereo back in the early 1960’s). This current Profil 10-CD set presents a consistently engineered collection of refined performances that include most of the Impromptus, Moments Musicaux, familiar waltzes, and ländlers, as well as duplicate performances of Schubert’s 3 Klavierstücke, D.964, which Richter pulls off with all-out bravado. Marvel at how the music resembles cadences of John Williams’ Theme from Schindler’s List (not yet written) towards the end of Klavierstücke No. 2. To top things off as an added bonus, Sviatoslav Richter is joined in the closing selections by his long-time mentor and recital partner, the legendary Benjamin Britten, to play the four-hand 8 Variations on a Theme, and by soprano Nina Dorliak in selected songs (delivered in Russian) from the Schubert cycles Schwanengesang and Die Winterreise. The spectacular set reaches a thrilling final summit with the brilliant Franz Liszt transcription of Schubert’s dynamic lied Erlkönig. Don’t hesitate to obtain this set for listening rewards that will last for a lifetime. While the pianist was cited for occasional "cold" playing during his frequent foreign tours, there is none of that evident in these white-hot, passionate home-crowd Moscow sessions. They represent one of Sviatoslav Richter’s all-time peak achievements as Schubertian and pianist extraordinaire.
twoleftears:
I've been listening to Vadym Kholodenko today. Excellent technique and tone. I'm impressed with his fortitude to continue playing after suffering an unimaginable tragedy in life. 

Have you heard his Petruchka? 

Teodor Currentzis coming to NYC this week. 

Experience Verdi’s Messa da Requiem, one of classical music’s most virtuosic and transcendent works, in concert and in film. Electrifying conductor Teodor Currentzis and the 100-member orchestra and 80-member chorus musicAeterna from Russia will take the stage in The Shed’s McCourt to perform Requiem. Following rapturous reviews at this summer’s Salzburg Festival, the performances mark Currentzis and musicAeterna’s North American debut. 

https://theshed.org/program/131-requiem-concert-performances

November 19 at 7 pm
November 21 and 23 at 7:30 pm
November 24 at 3 pm
Gugnin, Kholodenko, Geniušas. Dedicated To The 90 Anniversary of Vera Gornostayeva (Live).
This title is only available on TIDAL and mp3 on amazon. Kholodenko plays 3 pieces by Schubert 3 Klavierstücke, D. 946: No. 1 in E-Flat Minor. Brilliant virtuosity, superb technical mastery.

Also check out his Stravinsky petrushka 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB7ccsJlw4k&t=1744s

scroll to 23:19 for petrushka
I was surprised to find politics infiltrating this forum. I honestly couldn't care less of Wagners political views. I accept that he's vile anti semite, but I love his music. I don't think we should be canceling composers and classical music in general. Apparently, Beethoven is now racist too. At this rate soon enough all classical music will be censored and labeled racist. 
Just listened to Schumann: Symphonic Etudes, Op. 13 by Sviatoslav Richter. Melodia release, available on Tidal. It is astounding. Is there another notable recording of this ? 
The Art of Ivo Pogarelich on Tidal has most of his recordings in one place. Both Pletnev and Ivo are amazing in Etudes 
goofyfoot, what's better than tidal and qobuz? I was under the impression they were the only CD quality or better streaming services in US. I realize their classical selection is lacking to say the least. 

Has anyone heard of Witold Lutoslawski ? Polish composer. 

Just listened to his Variations on a theme of Paganini (1941) arr. for Piano, strings and percussion. There is only one recording made by Denis Matsuev on Idagio. 

This recording also includes a powerful performance of Shostakovich Piano concerto 1, and Schnittke Concerto for Piano and orchestra, which I also found very interesting. Appears Schnittke was influenced by Shostakovich. 

Is anyone familiar with this LP? Sibelius: Violin Concerto / David Oistrakh / Ehrling / Stockholm Festival Orch. 1954 on Angel

Just listened to it on YouTube and was very impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-QHS888r4

What are some other notable recordings of this Sibelius work?

Yes Mahgister, Sofronitksy certainly ruined me, after hearing his Schubert I'm having a hard time listening to anyone else..
I had the fortune of attending Buniatishvili’s Schubert concert about two years ago and can say her playing is very consistent with this recording. She is indeed creative with a magical and soft touch, yet powerful at the same time. I agree with rvpiano, just like her colleague Trifanov, she will mature with time.
I would rank her Schubert right up there with Sokolov, Volodos and Radu. Sofronitsky, of course, is on another level. 
Listening to a young Russian violinist Daniel Lozakovich playing Tchaikovsky album "None but the lonely heart" and Bach partitia 2 (both on tidal)
He plays like a true Russian, with beautiful melancholy and depth. I think he’s on track to be a superb violinist, full of insight, reflection, technical skill with maturity and sensitivity beyond his age.
His Bach Partita no. 2 was truly sublime. Definitely worth  a listen if you have a streaming service. I'd like to hear your thoughts if you get to hear his music. 
Dmitry Masleev, winner of Tchaikovsky competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYehCPsIgKw

Rachmaninov – Variations on a theme by Corelli in D minor, Op. 42 Rachmaninov – Etudes-tableaux, Op. 33
Shostakovich – Prelude and Fugue No. 3 in G major, Op.

thoughts on this pianist ? 
Just listened to Brahms Variations on Paganini by Cherkassky on idagio. Same recording has beautiful Bach chaconne for piano. 

Just bought Vladimir Sofronitsky - Complete Recordings  Melodiya all NM Vinyl on eBay, to be shipped from Russia. Expected shipping time about a month. Has anyone heard this set or part of it? It was an impulse buy, knowing how much I adore Sofronitsky. The recordings are in Mono. I am not sure about the sonics. Looking forward to playing it on my newly aquired Technics 1200G with cadenza blue cartridge

Discovered a new Russian pianist sofja gulbadamova playing Brahms string sextet 1 in b flat piano version on IDAGIO 

I thought her playing was inspired and imaginative. Thoughts ?

Album called Hungarian melody 
Just listened to arturo benedetti michelangeli play Hayden piano concerto in D.
I could never appreciate Hayden until I heard this man play this piece so magically...

Album in idagio Ravel, Rachmaninov, Hayden. 
Rok2kid 

interesting story about Rostropovich and Solzhenitsyn 

I know richter Rostropovich and oistrakh are unequaled in their respective instruments but I couldn’t get into their triple, it was a bit dry and uninspired For me

have you listened triple by geza anda, schneiderhan, fournier? Another great one is szell fleisher stern 

thoughts ?
Tatiana nikolayeva, anyone familiar with her ? Listening to her Bach and Shostakovich On idagio 
Tocatta and fugue by nikolayeva as well as fugue in G must listen on IDAGIO 
Paul badura-skoda playing pianoforte (period instrument) 
complete Schubert and Beethoven sonatas.  Absolute magic, piano forte sounds so sweet and warm, it transforms the music and you hear it the way great masters did when they composed it.  Bedura- skoda was one of the few to record all Schubert and Beethoven sonatas On both piano and pianoforte. Truly sublime sound and exquisite virtuosity  
Mahgister, still enjoying Mozart by Paul badura skoda, can’t get enough 

just got my sofronitsky Vinyl collection from Russia, very excited

Does anyone know any interesting concert venues in upstate NY around Albany NY area? I am aware of SPAC in saratoga where philadelphia orchestra plays one week every august. I’m looking for smaller music halls in the area that host world class soloists. Is there such a place within 100 miles of albany NY?