Purist Audio Design - Dominus Interconnect Cable

Hi,

Not to downgrade the efforts of cable designers, for me cable industry is the least technical demanding one among the audio equipment manufacture field but the price tags grow exponentially in the past decade. I can pay for technologies like amorphous metal alloys from Stealth or the battery-biased designs of Audioquest. But Purist Audio Design provides inadequate information to convince me to make the purchase. Even their most advanced technology years ago – The Radiant Light Source (RLS), they did not explain the source of the designed illuminating light.

So help me here. How to justify the over $5,000 price tag of Dominus interconnect cable at 1-mter length.

Thanks and Happy Listening!

Otto
yu11375

Showing 8 responses by yu11375

At the very beginning, I mentioned that I can pay for technologies like amorphous metal alloys from Stealth or the battery-biased designs of Audioquest. Because those companies explain the technologies they employ to their cables to convince customers.

Now for Purist Audio Design,

Treatment: Cryoed. It is not uncommon these days. You can even send your tubes to receive cryo treatment.

Shielding: Only a few cables use AIR as shielding. The majority of the rest cables all have their special shielding. What does it make Purist Audio Design shielding unique?

Materials: copper/silver/gold alloy. How precious this alloy is? At least Stealth let us know how difficult to make amorphous metal.

I am not against Dominus cable. On the contrary, I am interested in acquiring it. For me, I just don't have the information can persuade me to do such purchase.

Like The Radiant Light Source (RLS) technology Purist Audio Design so proud of not long ago, they did not explain the source of the designed illuminating light. How can you make people believe without any energy source that a designed illuminating light can long last in a cable? If it depends on natural lighting, how would it function during the night? For me, it is as mysterious as David Cooperfiled walks through the Great Wall.
Thank you Geoffkait. I had read that interview before I posted this thread.

Actually I am ordering the Ventustas to start this experiment. After that I will contact The Cable Company for some serious comparison as Zd542 suggested.

Again I am not against Purist Audio Design. Don't we have the right to KNOW as consumers? For such highly priced product, should more detail information be provided?

Thank you all for your inputs.

Have a nice weekend!
Hi Zd542,

Yes, there is another pure silver interconnect cable will arrive next Monday.

The Venustas interconnect cable is in my system for almost 10 days. I will hold my tongue until it is ready to be seriously audited. There are some folks in my area will join me for fun comparison.

Happy Listening!

Otto
Hi Coxhaus,

Thanks for your inputs to share your experiences.

I still waiting for another cable.

Otto
Hi Polygot,

I didn't forget about this and do appreciate helps and suggestions from the members here.

Personally I slightly agree with stringreen and tboooe that the Venustas in my system is colored. It floated the music too much to the degree it lost its focus.

For the past year, I switched my speaker from Piega P-10 to Monata EPX and my source from Resolution CD-55 to Ayon CD-5s. That's the reason I haven't post my update to the group.

There is one cable design claims his cable is smoother than Dominus. The cable will arrive in one week. Let's wait and see.

Happy Listening!

Otto
RW, you are right. I am totally with you.

If all these magic cables are superior to the internal wire of pre-amplifier or amplifier, why pre-amplifier or amplifier designers don't upgrade the internal wire to these magic cables?

I have a friend who works in the luxury goods / fashion industry. One time he was in the high ranked position at PRADA. He admits that people do pay a LOT for visual pleasure and touching enjoyment and people are willing to pay that much for their psychological satisfaction.

I pay a lot for my audio equipment to enhance my listening delight. The EDGE amplifier and Counterpoint SA-11 pre-amplifier I possess, they all have high price tags. Also I was one of the earlier Beta testers of Stealth’s cable more than 10 years ago. But I just can not justify myself to pay for the super expensive cables from Purist Audio Design. By the information Purist Audio Design provided, the Dominus cable is cryoed and stranded multi-gauge alloy in 18 AWG with special shielding. 18 AWG! My current cable is pure 6N silver in 16AWG at much realistic price. By my calculation, the cross section of 16AWG cable is more than 2.5 times of the cross section of 18AWG cable, what kind of technology can surpass these fundamental differences in Physics? Until more detail information is provided, I am still in the non-believer camp.
Thank God and Zd542! I am not the only one puzzled by the mysterious light!

Below are few sentences from George Cardas in a interview regarding his "Clear" series cable with SoundStage published in June 2010.

"While many manufacturers hide their designs behind a wall of secrecy, claiming “proprietary” material science and geometries, George Cardas & Co. were happy to discuss what all these terms mean, and how they implement them in the Clears. Let’s examine each more closely."

What a totally different approach! Only brave accept confrontation with confidence.

By the way, Ventustas interconnect cable will be here next Monday. I will post my findings in a month.

Happy Listening.

Otto
Now I am ready to provide my updates

First, my gears

Source: Ayon CD5s
Amplifier: EDGE NL Signature 1.2 mono blocks
Speaker: Montana EPX
Music: Classical

Cable under review:
1. Purist Audio Design(PAD) Proteus Provectus Revision
2. Crystal Clear Magnum Opus
3. Cerious Technologies Nano Reference

Background information:

First, Back in early 2001 when Stealth was not as famous as it is now, I was one of their early customers. The cables were sold at affordable prices. Now look at Stealth's cable, I can't pay such sky-high priced cables. All these years, I am searching for the cables from the next "Stealth".

Secondly, personally I really like the open soundstage and details silver cable provides me. On the other hand, I appreciate the weight of tone copper cable produces. General speaking I would focus on soundstage.

For the past whole year, I put both Proteus Provectus and Magnum Opus cables alternatively in my system. At more than one occasion, I just felt that Proteus Provectus gives too much echoing effects to smooth the sound. No doubt it is beautiful nonetheless the details are sacrificed too much.

For now, I am using between Magnum Opus and Nano Reference as my source can act like pre-amplifier to switch cables.