Luxman PD-171 turntable

This is the new-ish turntable by Luxman. Has anyone heard one or own one? Is it any good? Thanks.
dave_72
I've heard the new Luxman. It's robust, speed-stable, quiet and for a belt-drive, energetic. The massive aluminum upper plinth mechanically integrates the TT's working elements very well.

Will you like something else in the same price bracket better? Without knowing more, I can't say. But this turntable makes music and can be paired with a wide range of good moving coil cartridges.

Phil
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. It sounds like a real winner!
Review in Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/content/luxman-pd-171-record-player
It definitely looks nice, but for $6400 + at least $1500 for a decent cartridge, there's a lot of competition. My advice is if you're buying new, you should try to buy something from a local dealer who can demo it for you and set it up for you in your home if possible. Assuming of course, you like what he offers. Frankly, I think these online dealers are running a racket - full list price, but they don't have to give you a demo and home setup? Nice deal. Yes, I know that they have some room if you're buying something expensive, but dealers can do that too.
Well, that's a good way to go. However, most of the good (and reputable)online dealers give you a 30 day money back guarantee, as they should. But yeah, to charge full list is kind of bogus. Perhaps you can haggle with some of them? Anyway, I heard that the Luxman dist. is lowering the prices on Luxman gear. Apparently not the PD-171 unfortunately!
IMO what could hold this well built turntable back is the tonearm. From what i've read it's very similiar to a Jelco 750, not the type of arm I would want on a $6k deck. Luxman should consider an armless model, my hunch is sales would increase.
This is IMO, what a TT should look like. I lust after it for it's looks, but would have to hear it. I am no expert, but doesn't Jelco make arms for other larger companies. There is another pretty expensive German table that uses it, but the name escapes me. It's the table Axiss Audio imports. Dark Star is the model.
Yes, Jelco makes arms for other companies! And I do believe it's the 750 on the PD-171. But, what's wrong with the 750? it looks like a pretty solid and well engineered tonearm. Anyway, the armless model is cool, but the question is, will the US dist. bring it over here (the US.)
This is a throwback to the 1970s when you could get similar technology from Thorens or Dual. I myself would pocket the 6,700 dollars and look for a classic. I just bought a Dual at an estate sale for 100 dollars, restored it top to bottom for 90, and put on a quality MM cartridge from Audio Technica.
Listened to the Luxman, on their 38 tubed amp, and it sounded about the same. A very quiet and reserved sound, yet my Dual has better grip on the bass notes to mid-range.
That's cool, thanks for the info...I hope the US dist. will bring it over from Japan! We'll see what happens. Which tonearms would any of you recommend on this armless version?

This is a throwback to the 1970s when you could get similar technology from Thorens or Dual. I myself would pocket the 6,700 dollars and look for a classic. I just bought a Dual at an estate sale for 100 dollars, restored it top to bottom for 90, and put on a quality MM cartridge from Audio Technica.
Listened to the Luxman, on their 38 tubed amp, and it sounded about the same. A very quiet and reserved sound, yet my Dual has better grip on the bass notes to mid-range.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you are biased towards this turntable by the simple fact that you're poo pooing for not a very good reason. Yes, you listened to it, but it seems that going into it, you were too skeptical. An open mind is crucial to evaluating components subjectively.
Dave 72-There are always going to be people that claim vintage gear is equivalent(sound quality) to current gear. I think the price/performance ratio of current components upsets some longtime audiophiles and they develop a bias towards vintage gear. My take is the "best" vintage gear is able to compete with most current gear. If Bongofury made the claim a Kenwood L-07D crushed the new Luxman that's a different story but a nondescript Dual well...
Yeah, I understand. Personally, I do feel the prices *are* way too high on current high end components, but I'm always looking at the present and ahead. I don't really look back, unless the component can't be ignored. Yes, that is a stretch to call the Dual as good or better than this new-ish Luxman.
Dave 72 and Dayglow

I have been in the concert space for four decades and presently support artists in Asia, including Tokyo. I live between here and there. I have been a huge proponent of this brand, and frequently see their components in Japan and So Cal, where I live. I am very open to them, own their N100 setup, and you will see numerous postings by me, especially on that tube base system and the 590 integrated amp.

With that said, there is a 100% markup between Japan and here. My father owned a Garrard 301 for 30 years and I have the best heavy Dual platters from Germany made in the 1970s.

This Luxman has a similar platter configuration and I see very little difference in sound between them. You pay a good 3,500 just to have the US version, as the tt is 3,200 in Tokyo. No stretch: the truth.

If you like blowing money, it is a free world.
Bongofury-I never questioned your credentials, i've read many of your posts and I respect your knowledge. The issue is when you mention some Dual(no model #)dumpster find besting a Luxman that's been close to 30 years in the making well... A Garrard 301 is not a Dual, most of us realize the cult following this table has. Lastly markups are not exclusive to Luxman, look at Mcintosh regarding price/performance ratio!
I bump Dave 72's question for the experts:

Which tonearms would any of you recommend on this armless version?
Bongofury, fair enough. I haven't seen the Luxman in person or have auditioned it. So, when I do, I will report my findings. Hopefully it will be on display @ CES.
As I understand it, the PD-171 can be ordered with a Graham, and also a Triplanar that is specific to the PD-171. I believe it is a less expensive version. The third option is a Jelco SA-750. I was under the impression the stock arm was always a version of the Jelco 250 arm, so the SA750 should be a n upgrade. I will be double checking on the Jelco info....
Thanks for the info Fjn04. Yes, there is an armless version of the PD-171. And I finally heard it with the Luxman Class A integrated and Vivid speakers. This was at the 12th meeting of the Las Vegas Audio Club (lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.com,) which I am the founder and President of. The distributor of Luxman himself put on the demo. Anyway, I found the turntable to be superb in build quality, and the sound was very neutral with a touch of warmth. Is it overpriced? Probably, but if you buy from Japan there are risks involved especially if you buy from sites like price japan(only a 1 year warranty from Japan, and which you have to send to Japan to get fixed.) also, no parts availability and no product support. and you have to run the units on transformers which degrade the sound.

Anyway, here is the link to that demo...enjoy.

http://lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.com/2014/07/our-twelfth-meeting.html
Dave_72, Did you catch what arm was on the table philip brought over? By the photos, it appeared to be a Jelco. Like I mentioned, the Jelco SA750 is now available. I'm actually not sure if the standard arm they have had all along is a Jelco 250 or 750. I will shoot Philip an e-mail to clarify if the Jelco SA750 is in fact a higher model than the standard arm they had been offering. Cheers -Don
Hi Don,

Yes, it was a Jelco. Not sure if it was a 250 or 750. Ok, cool, let me know what he says, please. Thanks!
Heard back from On a Higher Note. The Jelco that's been standard on the PD171 from the get go is the SA-250. They now have arm board options with the newer version that will allow more choices. This includes the Jelco SA-750.
I also asked if the SA-750 was a 9 or 10" arm. They are checking with Luxman on that. I will be listening to another table next week, but for some reason, I want to end up w/ the Luxman. So far the reviews and the looks have me on the hook (-:

Ok, that's cool. Thanks again for the info! Is the SA-750 far superior? How much more is it with that arm? I would like to have it to, after hearing it this last summer! Best of luck on whatever you end up with!