Wharfedale Denton vs Diamond 225

I'm looking for a small pair of speakers in the $500 range and these two caught my eye. They are from the same manufacturer and sell for the same price. Anyone with any experience on their sonic differences?
128x128audiogabby
Iam owner of 10.1 and 10.2, I would go with Denton according to the review, this is a well made speakers..I have not heard this two model.Call music direct.
Based on what I read on british forums, some have found the Dentons to be richer in tones and details compared to the 220s.
I really like the Dentons personally.  They are very pleasant to listen to, sound good at low volumes, image very well, never bright and harsh, on the warm side, and from the pictures I have seen, they are made with wharfedale drivers, and quality crossovers and binding posts.  Internal wires are particularly thick.
The cabinets are exceptional at the price point.  I just compared my dentons to a pair of kef Q100; while the KEF are fast and offer a bit more details and air, they are not as refined, natural nor musical.
Wharfedale intented with the dentons to bring back the old wharfedale sound to music lovers - It is an 80th anniversary version and they were conceived with special care.  The 225s are probably more generic.
The dentons are not monsters of details nor super dynamic, so if you're looking for a warm, lush sound, they are for you.  They require good amplification, in fact I do not believe my marantz integrated 8400 is a good enough match.  I hope you can listen to both - beware of the dentons running time, they need at least 100hrs before developing and be more balanced. have fun
Omega 3i are very good buy used ,if you can find them , new $675, sometime Omegs has demo or used...
Dentons for folk and jazz....lighter music. 225s for faster, heavier, bassier music. 
Thank you guys for your insightful responses. I have a better idea now as to the sound of both speakers. Right now i am downsizing do to a move. As soon as I sell my Legacy Classic I will be able to move to a pair of monitors.
I have a pair of the Dentons and really love them; and they look great. Pics in my Village Baker Madness virtual system.

~Oran
I am amazed to see the NAD integrated still working fine in the environment... I have had one that did not handle a near dust free living room after 13 months!
I bought the Dentons for my father for Christmas.  I built a tube amp and am in the testing phase with an 8w tube amp feeding the Dentons. 

I have them set up in a small sunporch (about 7 x 11).  Their sound is really for me.  If you lush, musical and great midrange they are great.  They are not hyperdetailed.  They are not bright.  They have a real cozy sound.  I can't stop listening to them!  And, I have a $20k system in the next room.  Maybe I just needed a change of pace? Who knows?  

But I personally really like this loudspeaker.  My dad had Wharfedales in the house when I was growing up in the 70s-80s.  The Dentons do seem to remind me of that sound.  

It's also possible that they just pair well with EL34 power tubes and 12au7 driver/preamp tubes.  I don't think they are particularly efficient either.    

The build quality is really nice.  My father in law and wife both commented on how nice the walnut cabinet looks.  They are smaller in person than the photographs I saw online.  

I may have some amp, room, speaker synergy going on too that might not translate to different systems.  I'm not sure.  What I can say is this combo is superb. 

8 wpc Elekit TU-8200 with 12au7 and EL34 tube compliment
Tidal Hifi streaming
Wharfedale Dentons
11 x 7 room
Did you ever get to A/B Dentons/225’s?  I’m in the same boat, my local retailer only has the Dentons and 220’s but I haven’t made it there yet. I currently own an old pair of Siefert Maxim III’s and I’m going to bring them to compare. Wondering also if the difference between 220/225 is only bass response. 
Guru,
No I didn't. I found a pair of Platinum Audio Solos in the Local Craigslist and the owner was even willing to trade for my speakers. The reasoning is he had young children and his wife didn't like stand mounted speakers. I got the Solos with their original stand and in an incredible condition.
All Diamond series speakers sounded a bit unrefined for some music while the Denton clearly sound musical in almost every genre of music, the only thing that the Denton lack is dynamic if go to extreme volume, I would strongly suggest to get the Denton instead of Diamond series, currently I bought a Denton 85th from TAOBAO CHINA which actually solve the dynamic issue I’ve mentioned, but I’m not sure yet to conclude on overall music tonality, as it’s bad timing my Fostex HP-A3 DAC preamp is suddenly not working, I would need to wait for another DAC preamp (it’s Audisnt HUD MX2 or Fostex HP-A4) then only can test out the Denton 2 85th with power amp Class D Audio SDS-400C
+1 on the fact that the Denton lacks dynamics when played very loud.  They are very rich at low to mid-volume, but they start to sound compressed when pushed beyond normal listening levels.
Love mine.

@chrisr  Though I have to clarify that for some real great mastering records, the Denton still can play it 100% without compression. By the way, I'm curious what song you played sounded compressed when push to high volume, as this is very tricky to judge, the lack of dynamic of Denton 80 I described usually related to some extreme bass freq. which merely very very few recordings I listen, and the new Denton 2 85th definitely solve this dynamic limit with 6 inch woofer, it also look fatter and bigger, but yet to conclude that this woofer will affect bass elasticity, too stiff no good, too loose does not perform, the Denton 1 just nail it in terms of bass elasticity, e.g. play a track like Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' demonstrate that
" By the way, I'm curious what song you played sounded compressed when push to high volume,"

I don't have particular recordings in mind, but I'am loosing dynamics and clarity when playing pop, rock at high volumes much quicker with the denton than with my totems and ls50s (all same size drivers).  Note that both LS50s and totems use long-throw drivers. Also, it could be my room, my stands, my integrated... I do feel for sure that the Dentons definetely could use better amplification (more dynamic power and control) compared to the two others which sound good pretty much with anything.

You mentioned new Denton 2 85th... never heard of this... Are you leaking something that is still kept secret?

thanks for citing Moanin" as a reference - I don't think I have it on hand, but I'll look for it..
oh.  I have  Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' on a est of "blue note", 2CD set.... listening to it right now on my Totem hawks.
Bass is put way low in the mix and appear in the back of the soundstage.
I'll listen to it when I put back my wharfedale.
@chrisr Denton 2 85th seem only available in China market, I'm not sure, could be a little a bit late for other countries official release, I'm keen to know how the track Moanin' perform on LS50 compare to Denton 1, hehe...and perhaps your other speakers too

One of the best small speakers ever heard is the Siefert Maxim iii. They sound similar to the $14,000 Sonus Faber Extrema speakers but without the sticker shock. I heard them years ago at a fellow audiophile’s setup and pretty jaw dropping on how natural sounding they are.