Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd

Showing 3 responses by dbdeeb

Thanks Rhyno,

Dan was a bit vague when I asked him about the comparisons between the two tube-modded players, although in fairness that was a few months back--probably before he was able to make definite conclusions. I'll stick with my original plan and keep the 9100 AND get the tubed Oppo (when a few more funds arrive). That way I have Blu-Ray, DVD-Audio, etc., and still have "near $10,000 sound" with my Platinum 9100ES (which is probably on a par with the tubed Oppo and a notch below the 5400 on CD and SACD, from what everyone is saying). Mystery solved! Thanks again.
I have a 9100ES SACD / DVD Modwright Platinum mod. I'm quite happy with it, but am thinking about Blu-Ray, and thus Oppo 83SE (perhaps with Dan's tube mod). Any thoughts regarding the tubed ModWright Oppo vs. tubed ModWright 5400ES? If I had a fat bankroll, I would simply buy one of each of these machines and sell the 9100ES here on AudiogoN. Recommendations?
Thanks Rhyno,

Dan was a bit vague when I asked him about the comparisons between the two tube-modded players, although in fairness that was a few months back--probably before he was able to make definite conclusions. I'll stick with my original plan and keep the 9100 AND get the tubed Oppo (when a few more funds arrive). That way I have Blu-Ray, DVD-Audio, etc., and still have "near $10,000 sound" with my Platinum 9100ES (which is probably on a par with the tubed Oppo and a notch below the 5400 on CD and SACD, from what everyone is saying). Mystery solved! Thanks again.