Pre-amps for Leben CS-600x

Hi All,

I’ve been driving my Devore O96s with a Leben CS-600x, and it been good. Ok a lark I ordered a Bottlehead 300b preamp and amp. I received the preamp first and ran that through the Leben. It was revelatory. The sound was open, imaging was better, and it had an immersive quality it didn’t have before. I received the amp and it pales in comparison to the Bottlehead Leben combo. 

This has raised the question about what an every better preamp could do. Do you have any suggestions for a preamp that might make the Leben even more magical? 

Thank you!

markimiller

A lot depends on how much you want to spend on a preamp?

How about a link to the preamp you purchased?

apt Holman if one is on a budget ... almost instrument like in quality!

Bryston always talked about

Backert .... Pre amps are all they do 

Audible Illusions

VAC

ARC ... frankly the apt challenges all of them; if not betters.  For the $ nothing better.

Mark Levinson ML-4 or a pair of ML-6’s! Then you might as well get a pair of ML-2 amps to replace the Leben and Bottlehead.

Interesting thread - I've had some of the same thoughts. I've played with thought of adding either a Leben RS-100-U or a Yamamoto CA-04, so I'm looking forward to hearing what's being suggested.

A question:
When you use the preamplifier, I assume you use the pre amp in connection. Does this mean that the signal by-passes the tone and balance controls? Or are these still active?

I wonder if the preamp stage is completely bypassed or still active too.

@lak i really like the Bottlehead preamp. Maybe I should stay with it. It was relatively cheap and bested the preamp section of the Leben. But as an audiophile the little voice always starts asking questions. 

@blackbag20 great suggestions. I’ve often thought about Backert. I’ve heard so many good things. 

ARC is another great idea. Any suggestions for model?

I’m thinking about Shindo. Heard good  things about synergy with Leben and Devore. 

Also curious about VAC and Audible Illusions. I’ll do some reading. 

Much appreciated!

M

@jasonbourne71 thank you. I’ve had no exposure to ML, but you’ve got me curious! What do you like about ML?

@kasperbergholt 2 great suggestions. I’ll look at the Leben preamps. And I’ll do some reading about Yamamoto. What do you like about that maker?

I have not checked to see about the tone and balance functions when in preamp mode. I’ll check in the next couple of days and report back. 

@markimiller - good question. Came across Yamamoto when doing research on a new DAC and their design struck med a beautifully minimalistic with a focus on letting specific types of tubes do what they do best. But I’ve no listening experience with them - so just fascination & curiosity + some very positive reviews.

I have the CS-600 with different tubes in the driver stage (6CS7s). I just tried connecting a high-output DAC to the preamp in. The input does not seem to bypass the boost function and the balance contro, so I’m doubt as to which degree the pre amp mode makes the amplifier function as a (pure) power amplifier.

If the driver stage is not bypassed, there might not be much to gain by running it with a separate preamplifier.

But I might be missing something here. Theoretically, adding a preamplifier might worsen the sound as the signal chain gets longer both in terms of through the amplifier circuits and the extra interconnect.

Some people report great results running the input signal through the tape in instead of one of the line level-ins. This, however, does not seem to bypass parts of the driver stage either though.

@lak thank you for another wonderful suggestion. Can’t believe they weren’t on my radar. 

@kasperbergholt i checked and the balance control and boost are active in preamp in mode. I can’t speak to how the Leben is built, but I do know that overall it sounds better with the bottle head than with its own preamp section (alone ?). Why would Leben offer it if it would only diminish the sound?

I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to quote comments, so

"I can’t speak to how the Leben is built, but I do know that overall it sounds better with the bottle head than with its own preamp section (alone ?). Why would Leben offer it if it would only diminish the sound?"

That's a good point - and I'm believer in 'trust your ears'. Looking forward to hearing about your further experiences with preamps with the CS-600X.

Post removed 

I ended up getting an Shindo Monbrison, which makes the Leben sing. But I also got a Shindo Montille, and that outshines the Leben by no small measure.  

@markimiller Depending on your speakers, the cv391 is stunning. The STC cv391 is an amazing tube for an amplifier for tone and texture, even SET like at times. STC was the British spinoff of Western Electric so the tube has some of that dna. Congrats! Ive owned both versions at different times in different systems: they are both terrific but the cv391 has more...alot more...to offer.

@ghasley agreed! Tone and texture in abundance. With the O96s, the combo with the Monbrison seems perfect. Immersive sound and the texture drives a realness I’m enjoying. Thanks for your impressions.