experience with Threshold SA/2e or S/500 amps?

does anybody have experience with the older threshold sa/2e monoblocks or S/500 stereo amp? either owning the amps or in comparisions to new amps like: classe, mcintosh, pass labs? i will be using them to drive a pair of Totem Mani 2's. The SA/2e's are rated at 100 watts class A which might be a little low on power for the mani's. I have never owned a pure class A amp and maybe these amps have the necessary erserve power for the mani's. the s/500 would have enough power but they are a class a/b amp. i'm looking for an amp that are warm sounding with enough power to control the mani's. any thoughts?
rbstehno

Showing 1 response by thorman

Any of thr older Thresholds ( specially the S series ) are great and powerful amps. The S A series being the cream of the crop..Compared to today they are still considered very good,but today for some reason the amps are Voiced a little different in my opinon.The Tube amps are Voiced to sound less warm with a more neutral/analitcal sound and Solid State amps have more musicality with more warmth and both s/s and tubes are very close in sound.That being said its very hard to compare.. If you can find a nice SA 1 or 2 Threshold,jump on it before someone else does...