Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru

Showing 7 responses by 711smilin

The shootout that never happened: By 711smilin

A few weeks back a couple audio nutz went to Essential Audio's home to have a shootout of 3 players. This never was able to materialize for various reasons.

1) The system was not dialed in properly, ie: Brian had moved his speakers, and they did not sound right.

2) Different cables and interconnects were used.

3) There is no real way of comparing units by listening to
2 minutes of 6 different songs, on 1 player, than moving on to the next.

IMHO, for a shootout to happen, first, the system must sound great to all in attendance. Each player must use the same interconnects, PC's, Line conditioner, ect. The format must be a 1 against 1 and majority opinion prevails. Than go on the next player. Those voting should vote blindly, without knowing which machine is playing. A general consensus should take place as to the music being evaluated. There should be a person, in charge of switching the music on the various players. It should be fun for all.

This did not happen, and for me personnaly, I just went along for a ride.

For these reasons, I am just aquiring more highly touted machines for myself to enjoy, and for a select few others to experience. I just received my TRL 595(a giant killer?)I do not know yet. I am still waiting for my modwright 3910 to be finished. Plus, I may buy another Exemplar 3910 just to make further comparisons, and drive myself NUTZ.

I have received my new speakers, and they are burning in too. Over the next 30 days, hopefully I will have my systemn dialed into the point I desire, along with all my new toys, than I will make some observations.

I apologize to AVGURU for coming off offensively, but, I felt he was attacking me for no reason. Charles, I invite you back into the insanity, and will control my temper.

This is an obsession for me, BUT, above all it must be FUN.

The past couple weeks, were not for me. They were getting stressful, thus I kept away.

I am feeling great again, even though, at this time I do not even recognize my systems sound. I will soon,and then the fun begins anew.

Till then, have fun in your journey
Lazarus28, I have some very special cheez whiz, sounds great with ceedee's. just rub it on, and MAGIC happens.
Eric, your welcome, and when I have all the players, we can play again. This time, at my place, or yours.
I certainly am still on my quest. I am reworking my system presently, and still waiting for the Modwright 3910. I will have the APL, Modwright, and TRL. Maybe an Exemplar at some time, but I believe I have what it takes to compare. I do invite those to audition in my home stating the middle of next month. I have been trying to fine tune my system for a while now, and keep $$$$. Lates additions include electraglide statement II revised revision X 3, BPT sig 3.5, anti cable speaker wire, Reimer Teton speakers, and I am working now on multiple interconnects. Maybe a Hydra 8 soon too. Basically between, work, my daughters Bat Mitzvah, next week, and audio, my head is spinning. My quest continues.....good luck on yours.

Gotta love Audiogon
I have the Modwright 3910, and the APL, and the TRL, I invite Jactoy over at his convenience to play. I could also than go to Jayctoys place with them too. I reserve my judgement. My Modwright does have volume control. Audio_girl, get a life baby. Tbg, I will hear the latest Exemplar soon too. Tvad, whasup baby? Guido, please do not publish my last name in this forum, that really sucks, and is very impolite.

onward and upward