Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru

Showing 50 responses by 711smilin

I will be back the 22nd, I had offered to give my APL to someone for the shootout at essentials place on the 19th..

I will be around, I gotta hear these other units, and you need to hear the APL.
I have compared the DV-50 directly in my system with the Exemplar 2900 on Redbook, Sacd, DVD-a. The Redbook was FAR better on the Exemplar. The SACD/DVD-A is very comparable with the edge going to the DV-50. I sold my 2900, and am now waiting for the 3910 to reach me from Exemplar. I am told that this beats the 2900, hands down. But, I will not know till next week. I also have another 3910 modded by Alex paychev coming next week. In the comparison I must add that the APL SACD 1000 blows away All I have compared with in SACD. in fact it the Best SACD player I have heard yet IMHO, and some of my vinyl loving friends agree that it bested or came so close it hurts, to thier beloved TT's.

More to come. BTW The DV-50 is built like a Tank AND has great video. I combine my HT with 2 channel. SS for HT and Tubes for 2 channel and am also lookin for the best 1 box solution. For performance the DV-50 is beaten for music here. Hopefully with the new video chip, new power supply, caps, wiring ect, the 3910 should beat the DV-50 in all area except for weight and looks of unit.

Good luck in your audio journey
Oldpet, I have 1 bellogotti rack with B&K 507 AVR/5 Klipsch cornwalls, SVS B4-Plus-Crown K2, will have Denon 3910 moded by either the guys, depending on which sounds better. This rack is to the Left of my Elite HD730. To the right is another rack with Wavelength Cardinal X1's, Exemplar Exception II(siltech and Volume) either one of the 3910's. Plus 60 watt custom PP with Genelec Gold lions to switch for HIGH spl. I use custom 6 gage cryoed cable. I use APL's silver interconnects, compared against the highest end in the best salons in Chicago, I could find no better. Plus I do not believe in paying for the wire desease.
Avguru, email me, I live in Wilmette, I would love for you the hear and experience what I have in reference to the DV50, I am sure we would have a real good time too. My 3910's are being shipped tomorrow, so I will get them by the end of next week. I really believe both of them will impress the S*** out of you, not just audibly but video too.

The DV 50 will always be heavier, built more solidly ect. But, we can see what sounds better to our ears together.

I already know that to my ears, both my sacd 1000, and my 2900 sounded better, too me, and my new machines should be much better than those.....

Are you ready to RUMBLE?

BTW, I understand TRL is modding the DV-50's and that the mod with REALLY make it a fabulous contender. That I believe is without tubes, you would have to check it out yourself.
AVGURU,

What the heck are you pissing in the wind about? I gave perfect examples of IMHO of better, less expensive REDBOOK players, which also have a ton more. Your only response was to critisize my players. Than I offer my HOME for a listen and compare, and you sluff it off. What type of man are you?

I agreed your DV-50 is a well made good machine. It is not a GREAT machine for audio IMHO, and am willing to show you.
Mgottlieb, I had the same reaction as you, thats why I went the with the modded units, Exemplar, and APL 3910's. Both for less than the cost of 1. I use 1 for HT/mulitchannel/SS, and 1 for 2 channel/tubes.
AVGuru, I will come to your house, so you can compare DV-50 balanced, with Exemplar, that way it's in your system, with your ears. This is the only way we will be able to come to an accurate conclusion here. I am curious to see how much better the DV-50 is in balanced mode too.
AVguru email me your info buddy, your gonna love this. You will have a once in a long time chance to hear something amazing in your system. Call me on my cell too.
AVGURU, I too am happy you listened to the UX-1, as I feel that now, you are prepared to hear, and be amazed by my players. BTW I tried calling yesterday, and this afternoon. Where are u? My life is very busy now, and I know you are on vacation, but, I am not. I haqve a business to run, and a family to take care of. Call me.

Smilin
Well, I just drove 120 miles roundtrip and had a GREAT time with AVGURU. Thanks for the hospitality and great tunes. Now, where should I start. This was a real eye opening experience. I brought both the APL 3910, and the Exemplar 3910 with me. The Apl still needs about 150 hours to break in, the Exemplar was just about done. AVGURU removed his VCR and I slid the Exemplar into its place. He was trying to find the right intercennects, powercord ect. I told him, it really does not matter, cause when I compared the DV-50 I was comparing with lesser units. AVGURU hooked up the Exemplar, put a cd into the DV-50, and we listened for a couple of minutes. I told AVGURU that it sounded 1 dimensional, like there was a vail over the music. He looked at me like I was nutz. I told him to use the cheapest interconnects, and powercord, cause IMHO I did not think there was any way in hell that my players could not sound any better than the DV-50. Remember, I have been thru this exercise before, even with the AA Capitole II, and MF tri vista. In my mind, AVGURU was about to be BLOWN away, BLOWN up, In another atmosphere, another zone completely. AVGURU has a eautiful setup, but, it sounded like radioshack to me, not high fidelity. I know, these are strong words. I have great respect for B&W speakers, and am on a mission to find the BEST digital on the planet, for home use and enjoyment. I will end with saying this, and wait until AVGURU chimes in. It took less than a minute to astonish AVGURU with the quality of these fabulous modded machines.

Is this just me bragging?

Did I say I told you so?

Am I having fun here?

NO, YES, YES

chime in buddy, and keep smilin

BTW, Thanks AVGURU for helping me make up my mind on these 2 extraordinary machines, please do not let the cat out of the bag, suspense is just too much fun.
If you guys want to know about the mods from John Tucker (Exemplar), or Alex Paychev (APL HiFi) I probably have the most critical experience of anyone in the country, cause I put my money where my EARS are. I have compared in home to many HIGH end high dollar players, and have the in home experience others just talk about. Plus I am will to learn, and take the time for comparison. In fact, this just helps me, and us in MY journey to find the BEST digital source, REGUARDLESS of price. Guys, I would spent up to 20k on the best source, You just gotta proove it to me. I have listened to Meitner, DCS/Elgar, ect, and have not felt they have been better than what I have. Plus they are limited in formats. I am willing to play this game some more for you guys with the High Dollar stuff. Please, help lead me to audio heaven(digital wise)

AVGURU, thanks for the honest assesment of what we experienced together, and not taking my Thunder away from me. Remember, when you P/U the Higher end Esoteric, we need to compare too, I am lookin forward to your and my expressions when we do this.

Have fun in your audio journeys my friends and If you wanna talk, email me your #'s.

Steve Smilin
Pardales, Thank-You, I am willing to have people come over and compare with other high end units too. If they have something I want to compare too, I will go there, within reason.
It is FUN, for me, I just love this hobby, and the search for digivinal, heh heh heh, the best part is, my system, right now, with horn speakers and John Coltranes Blue train, he is playing right here in my room, better than any vinyl I have ever heard. Anyone up fof the challenge? Ain't this fun. Bet you don't know what player I am listening too. Email me if yawanna find out.

Smilins smilin tonight
AVGURU, I am looking forward to playing again, how about friday, at my place. That way you can hear horns on horns, and get a little different perspective. I would love to repay your hospiality. I really had a good time, hope you did too. BTW I love your discriptive abilities.
AVGURU, morton grove is right down the street from me, call me and I will confuse the crap out of the salesman with my APL.
No go, no show for the shootout, guys, my players TROUNCED the DV-50, AA Capitole, MF Tri Vista, where the heck are you
going with this search. For the money, or even 3-5 times the money, there are NO players better, only different. I know this by putting my $$$ where my mouth is. I am getting off this bandwagon. If you wanna hear the best, email me and bring with whatever you have, and we will have some fun.

Enjoy the search, but, more importantly, enjoy the MUSIC.

I AM, heh heh heh
Daltonlanny

IMHO the DV-50 is weak, overpriced, ect....for about the same $$$ you can get 10 times the machine. This is not just MHO, but otheres too.
AXGURU, thanks for the complimenets of my system. I need to clarify the cornwall facts, I said I have 1200 into the pair, including new crossovers, made by a fellow klipsch lover Dean, from the Klipsh forum, I also had cardas binding posts put in so I can take the Niles switching box out of my signal path. The VRD's are mad by Craig Ostby of NPSValves, also from the Klipsch forum. I added NOS Gold Lion KT88's, Mullard fat base 5AR4, mullard 12AX7, and Amperex 12AU7 phase splitter. I chose to have almost unlimited SPL for our session, and you did not get to hear the Cardinal X1's with the Western Electric 300B's. I still caqnnot find a better speaker for my awful room under 10k used. Any suggestions would be great. I belive a lot of people in the pursuit of wonderful audio, poo poo Klipsch as being low end, or colored. I feel that the cornwalls are some of the BEST speakers in the world under 10 grand, maybe more. I used to be a yuppie shopper, now, I try to shop with what I hear, with my ears in my system. I am amazed myself, that my speakers are the cheapest part of my system, sans wire. I am now embarking on that journey too, and hope I do not go too nutz. AVGURU, I believe you were taking Alex wronf when he chimed in, but I will leave that to you 2 guys.

I have been having a blast with this journey, and learning quite a lot along the way.

I have tried not to make blanket statements, and to keep an open mind, and ears here. If some of you have construed me to be a bit overzealous, I apologize. Bear with me, and us as we venture into more in depth comparisons in the future. I will try not to make any rash judgements. I do have opinions, so far, but, all is subject to change.

Tvad, you are right that there is no one holy grail, just as I realized I have yet to find 1 amplifier that make me totally happy, I fear I must have 2 digital sources too. In this journey, if we want to be done, we need to settle, some where. But, at this time, I am not ready.
I apologize for the spelling of my last post, I did not have proper lighting in my room, my father in law is recuperating here from cancer surgury, I had my HT showing Law and Order, his fav, and the lights were out. I will try to be better in the future.

No Disc, glad your feeling better.

Guys, I have also ordered the top of the line Esoteric from quintessince audio to compare in my system, when it arrives, I invite those who would like to hear, and experience, to email me.

If you know where I can purchase other HIGH END digital, in my area, with the right to return, without fee's, I would much appreciate. This would include the Meitner Dcc2, DCS-Elgar, Reimyo, ect. My cards can handle it, and I will buy the best. Yes, I am obsessed with finding, and owning, what IMHO is the best digital source.

Reb, if you are ever in the area, email me and we can get together, I have had different experiences, and I feel my system is very revealing.
Ok guys, I just bought the Esoteric X-01, I will have AVGURU pick it up in the AM and bring to me, than we will know. BTW I have to ship my APL back to Alex this week for the NEW CLOCK he had custom made for the 3910. This should be fun.

Smilin out
Guido, I am getting the demo, so it should be plenty broken in. I am SERIOUS about this journey. From what I have been told by Alex, the VRDS transport is the bomb. Now we will see what these players are made of. I am going to take my time here, plus it will be another week or so till I get back the APL, from the new clock board installation. I put a call into Dan Wright to see if he will sell me his best, and also to John Tucker to get his best. Am I missing anything here? I WANT THE BEST.
I have also asked Dan wright if he could sell/ship me his best asap. Yes I am nutz.
jmic, I see you are a pessimistic soul, who is having no fun in his own life, trying to vicariously live thru other peoples enjoyment. This is a FUN journey to find what IMHO is the best for me, certainly not you. I have realized that unless I can hear equipment in my home, with my system, with my ears, I cannot pass personnal judgement. There are people like you, in this world who attempt to take the joy out of anothers journey. I will NOT let them happen. I will say that IMHO my hearing AND brain, work very well. There are also a lot of people who RESPECT my opinion, and are happy to have the opportunity to learn from/with others. I, in fact respect your opinion, but, I do not respect your written words. They are hurtful, AND distasteful. I have in fact, had you read the full thread, apologized for any rash statements I have put into print. I have also held myself back from formulating further written opinions until my journey is complete.

I will continue with my journey, until it stops being fun and enjoyable.

Best Wishes

Steve
Guys, I have been sitting on the sidelines for a few days, before deciding to make any further comments. I want to digest what I have been experiencing, and to define my goal in this endeavor.

1st Goal=Accurate Digital music reproduction, as close to vinyl as possible.

Reason=I have no room, or desire, too embark on the vinyl journey. My listening space, right now has 1 rack SS for HT
1 rack Tube for 2 channel. The main speakers are being shared. I swap out interconnects.

This journey has brought me ownership, and the listening pleasure of many machines. In the past, I have made the mistake of hearing a product in a showroom, falling in love with the sound, bringing it home, and not being able to duplicate what I heard, and loved, in my own home.

I am trying ONLY to judge machines, in my home, with my system, with my ears.

I have owned these machines this year.

Denon 2900
Xindak SACD2
Eastern electric Minimax
Shanling T200C
Sony XA777ES
Exemplar 2900
APL SACD 1000
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista
Audio Aero Capitole II
Esoteric DV-50
Exemplar 3910
APL 3910

From the best of my recollection, I have heard in my home this year.

Sony 333ES
Tjoeb w/mods
Sony 555ES
Modwright Sony DVD9000ES

There are many, many more I have auditioned in audio salons around Chicago, including the Meitner DCC2(I think with the new transport), the DCS/Elgar stack, and more.

I am trying to formulate a way in my mind to express my opinions on the machines I have heard on MY system, without suggestion that one "blows" another away. I am realizing that, in the pursuit of excellence, and when I get to a certain level of detail in an excallent machine, there are the smallest of details that make the difference. This is the reason I HAVE to listen in my system. I realize my system is evolving during, and after these auditions too. IE pre-amps, Interconnects, Power-cords, mods to my speakers, new dedicated power, conditioning, ect. All these changes have cause/effect.

Bearing this in mind, I will try to be as honest as possible, and relate what I am hearing/or heard in the past.

I definately know what I like best TODAY, plus I realize that 1 machine cannot be enough for me. I need 1 machine for 2 channel, and 1 machine for HT/Multi-channel. I like diffent flavors for each. Thus I have a big problem in determining what is best for me. Writing this is helping me think this thru, more clearly. I am taking the approach of money, not being an issue up to $20k. Any more, and I am out. This budget leaves much room. I also do not like to throw money out. I like bang for my buck, thus have fallen head over heals for audiogon, cause it provides a forum for us AUDIO crazed middle aged guys and our obsessions(yes, younger, older, women, are all included here). I have been able to sample so many fine amps, pre-amps, tubes, interconnects, digital sources, buy them, evaluate them in my home, sell them here, and still have relatively the same money to do it again.

Thank you AUDIOGON, sincerly from my heart, and WALLET.

I will answer questions on individual machines i have owned on a per question basis. I would like to tell you where my journey has ende.

JUST FOR TODAY.

For my 2 channel pleasure

I own the APL 3910

I own this machine because it gives the BEST analogue reproduction I have ever heard. It has a built in digital remote control(for my lazy ass)and sounds better without a pre-amp than with one. The redbook on ths machine is phenominal, the best I have ever heard. The 6h30 supertube give the playback a 3d sounstage that draws me into the music, without making me wnat to analyze the instruments, or vocals. I can close my eyes, pick out instruments, visualize in my minds eye where each performer is on the stage. Instrument sounds REAL, piano is piano, drums are drums, cymbals sound like symbals. The dynamics are incredible, the sounstage is layered, the sound is just REAL. I do not experience or feel any digititis. The trble is airy, the decay is natural, when playing one of my college favorites, Chuck Mangione, The Children of Sanchez, the part when the drums start, I have NEVER heard the bass drums sound so real, tight, natural, strong. I was literally brought to tears on this recording. I had to play it over and over, I am still amazed how my system sounds. This is with redbook, If this player did nothing else, I would own it. Here is the kicker. This machine plays ALL formats, and wonderfully, accurately, DVD-A, SACD, HCDC, DVD, Video, 2-channel, multi channel.

Just for today, I love this machine.

Why do I like it better that the Exemplar?

I want to start out by saying that the Exemplar 2900, made me a believer in modified digital. I had the 2900 on my HT rack for a yearand for video, and multi channel it was very good.(my 5.1 has 5 of the same speakers, my subwoofer is the SVS B4-Plus, Crown K2)But, 2-channel made my ears bleed. The Denon Sucked, sucked sucked, compared to my 2 channel. I had bought modded APL SACD 1000 from Tvad, here on audiogon and was thrilled with the SACD playback, and happy with the redbook. I was spending at least 5 hours every day various audio forums, and review sites. I read so many threads, ect my eyes started going blury. I am into horns, and was reading about the Exemplar Horns. I googled Exemplar, and came accross a thread right here on Audiogon, I believe by Tbg, about the Exemplar 2900, and John Tucker, (A wonderful nice man, and a damn rocket scientist to boot). I was so intrigued I emailed John, about the machine, and tried negotiating to order one. He told me he could not discount the Machine, I asked if there was someone local where I could hear the machine. He put me in contact of his Chicago Rep, a great guy named Ric. i drove to his home, and we compared the Exemplar 2900(without siltech)with my APL 1000. SACD was much better on my APL, but, redbook was astonishingly great on the Exemplar. I was a bit dumbfounded cause after reading the stereotimes review of this player, I thought it would best anything out there. It had done that for all other rivals. My tail went between my legs, and Nice salesman that he is, ric offered to let me bring the 2900 to my home for trial. AAhh this would be the real test.

I bought it, and at a great price. I was so exited I started telling people all who would listen about this Denon Exemplar. I could finally get rid of my HT Denon 2900 and have the EXEMPLAR 2900. I shipped my 2900 to John, and impatiently waited, mine would have all of the upgrades, I wanted it to be the best. At about the same time Alex from APL, received his custom made double dac boards with remote volume control for the APL SACD 1000, so I emailed Alex, and shipped it out for the upgrades.

Yes, I am obsessive, no?

After waiting about 3 weeks I received my Exemplar, my hands were sweating, I was breathing heavy, I tore the box open, hooked it up, but no music, the transport was fried. Very disappointed I shipped the unit back to John. Being the great guy he is, he replaced the transport, and shipped it right back. All the while I was on ebay buying E180CC's, 12AV7's, 5965's, ect, just waiting to roll some tubes. I open it up, set it up it plays music, just not the way I remember. I was on audiogon at the time and asked about this, I believe it was Tbg that wrote 250 hours to get it right. I never in my life imagined this could be true. 10 days for the unit to burn in? Why, it did not compute.

Day 10.5 WOW this machine was amazing, all was right in the world. I started on my new mission to see if this was the best machine out there. I received my APL 1000 back with the volume control, I had already determined the Exception II pre-amp bested the Thor TA 1000 mk ii, so I hooked em both up and voila. The redbook on poorer recording was much better on the Exemplar, but, the SACD was better on the APL. On better recorded cd's they were equal. Now, I was happy, I pwned the IMHO at the time best redbook with the Exemplar, and the best SACD with the APL. I was pretty happy for a while. I could not play my Grateful dead remasters on HDCD.

My friend Bill, importer of Eastern Electric had brought over his CD player for me to use while both players were being modded, and when I put my Grateful Dead cd's in his player, they sounded like SACD, they were tranformed into real music. I had to have HDCD. Thanks Bill. More on this player later, this is getting long enough, I feel like I am releasing myself here from pent up audio/mind/block.

I found that the 3910 had newer betterdacs than the 2900,and played all formats. In my research, and in my belief I had to have the Exemplar 3910, but, while I was at it, I realized I had been comparing aplles to oranges in the APL vs Exemplar, they were different machines. As my DAD always said, 2 heads are better than 1, so, I asked both John, and Alex to med me their versions of the 3910.

My fingers are starting to get tired already, but, my soul is being cleansed.

Needless to say, The 2 3910's are some of the Best digital I have heard anywhere, especially in my home in the under 15k catagory. Yes, I know I said 20k was my limit, I just have not listened to any player that expensive, YET.

NOW, how did Imake my decision?

I finally broke he Exemplar fully in, yeah I know those painful 250 hours, and had about 150 hours on the APL. I used my Exemplar Exception II Preamp connected to my Wavelength Cardinal X'1's, connected to the 2 3910's. I used my trusty ratshack spl meter to set volume(The APL has digital volume control), and started to AB these beauties. I could not believe my ears, their was not audible difference. I have been buying a lot of music recently, and intentionally duplicated MFSL's, SACD's, DVD-A's, and HDCD's.

About a week went by, I was driving myself nutz, cause I could not hear a damn difference. They both were WONDERFUL, musical, accurate, all the accolades of great music. I read AVGURU challenging the DV-50 against other players. I knew mine would be better, I just did not realize I would learn about my 3910's at AVGURUS house.

On his system I realized I loved the sound of the APLa touch more than the Exemplar, and amazing as it was, it was because of the redbbok playback. The APL was always great with SACD ect, but it was now better in redbook.

I am getting real tired, and actually need to go back to work, yeah, I know, I still need to make $$$. Gotta support my hobbies, yaknow.

Okay, real fast, with more to come later

I got back to my place, put the exemplar into the system with pre-amp, played a disc-took the 2 pieces out, plugged the APL directly into the amps, and VOILA, a bit more extension, a bit more air, a better sounstage, i stopped analyzing the instruments and vocals, I was ENJOYING the music. I felt wonderful. The difference is this, my friends. I get absolutly no feeling and urge to analyze, I enjoy my music. I could get a little fatigued with the Exemplar, it reminded me of what I remember the Meitner being. Just a tad analytical. With the APL I get everything the Exemplar has to offer, but, with more musical involvement, I am drawn in, I am not trying to get in.
Guido, I will get the X-01 or the UX-01 as time permits, in the near future. it really is too bad, casue i had paid for the unit, and AVGURU could not make it Tuesday for the get together.
Jayctoy, I will give you my impressions of your Modwright Sony DVD9000ES. The sounstage was huge, wide, deep, almost holgraphic. The background had a white noise, not blackness. The midrange was accentuated, bloomy, almost as if there was an eq being used. The seperation of the instrumentation was exagerated, and the bass was a bit boomy, not as tight, as real. The voices were almost hauntingly echoed, and very beautiful. This to me is some of the finest DIGITAL I have ever experienced. Accurate?
No way in hell. Great sounding, Absolutely. When I was sitting in my listening position I was amazed at the musical presentation being presented. IMHO I could not live with this type of machine for exclisive 2 channel listening. I was getting fatigued, and confused. This was more romantic, lush, bloomy, exagerated reality. Fun, yes. Sometimes for 2-channel, definately. For me, I am really now trying to make up my mind between the Exemplar, and the Modwright. This would be for HT. The more I think about the experience of your Modwright in my home, with my speakers, the more I think about the potential of using my 5 cornwalls, and my B4-plus/Crown K2 with a soundstage this big, this romantic.

Wow, this may be just the Perfect unit for HT, I can just Imagine the VOICE in the Matrx thru this type of player. OMFG, It would almost be a religios experience. I agree with you, when you said, at my house that the system sounded so good, you could just lay down and go to heaven here. But, to me, this is not accurate. This is romantic. I feel to be accurate, I need a black Background, Voices that sound like live voices, instruments that are not exagerated, but played as it is recorded.

I really believe you that in a church setting, with the acoustics you get in church, like a choir singing. Yes, this is what I heard too. On my upstairs sony receiver, I have a eq function called hall that is similar, certainly not as seductive as the modwright, but I think you get my meaning. I believe the newer Modwrights have a bit blacker backgrounds than yours, and are MUSICAL as all get out. I am really wanting to talk to Dan about the 3910 he is working on right now. He posted, it should be done in a couple of weeks.

I have more decisions to make now. Which unit to buy for my SS/HT rack...the fun continues.

Jayctoy, this is my EXPERIENCE and MHO of your unit in my home, with my ears. I love it, I love the sound, but, it is too much for my 2 channel pleasure. The newer mods I look forward to buying, trying, and who knows.

I had intended to pull the trigger today on the Exemplar for my HT, But, IMHO it is so close to the APL, I do not know if I would enjoy it as much for HT/5 channel.

The saga continues
Guys, please let me know what the story is. I will be in town till the 16th. I just received my APL, and WOW, with the clock, it is a different machine. Alex also put a brand new transport in, mine was damaged shipping to him, damn fed ex. My unit is burning in again. Even so, I know in my heart, and ears, this machine is MAGICAL. These are the only words I can use to describe the beauty of the music I am hearing as I write this. As good as the APL was without the clock, there was a 3 dimensionality to it. Now there is a holographic magic to it, accurate, delicate, extended, soft, seductive, percussive. The air in between the notes, instruments, guitars, piano, and especially vocals, are just fabulous. I am amazed at how great my system is sounding, right now. I am smiling. I am content. I am in awe.

I have talked to Bill the importer of Eastern Electric to maybe have him at the shootout and to be the person switching sources so you guys can make decisions on what sounds best, without being told what is playing. BTW, is the shootout on for the 19th? Are you guys going to listen to the UX-01 at quintessence tomorrow, if so, I can meet you. I can also purchase it if the shoot out is gonna be next week, when I am out of town. Rest assured, you can have the APL there if you would like too.

Good luck on the journey

Smilin
Phil1,

I just received my APL back earlier today. I noticed an immdediate improvement. The music was more real, holographic in ways. I have listened now for about 8 hours with redbook and SACD. I will wait to comment futher on the sound. The unit now has an external toggle for turning the remote on and off. The remote serves various functions(Sony remote, I think it's funny)when I push the REC mode, I can adjust volume control, pause by pressing 1, and invert phase by pushing 6, button 4 and 5 are the filters. I have not really used them as of now. I will in the near future, and will let you know . In the DVD mode, I can change tracks with the channel up/down, or by hitting the track #. Pretty simple to use, and a GREAT time saver for my fam. More to come.
Reb1208

Man, that is a GREAT question. Bass is probably the MOST important factor to me in musicality. Funny I did not even mention bass response earlier. I have the mother of subwoofers, the SVS 12 B-4 Plus with 4 12 inch woofers, passively connected to a Crown K2 in mono for 2500 watts. I LOVE BASS.

The APL has bass that does not need for a subwoofer in my system. In the past, I only had issues with my WAF using the subwoofer. I do not use the Sub in my 2 channel. I have 15" paper woofers in my speakers. They are very fast, and depending on the source, can definately sound bloated or muddy. With my APL, this is not the issue. The bass I get is so tight, fast, articulate, emmmm, real, I can tell the difference in the types of drums used. I was listening to Chuck Mangione's, Children of Sanchez, when the bass drums start, WOW, tight, fast, in my chest, only like my subwoofer was playing. My daughter ran downstairs and told me to turn my subwoofer off, cause books were falling ff the desk. I was smiling, ear to ear, prior cause of the spl and air from my 15"ers. When she came down, I was floored that the bass was so GREAT, I was HAPPY.

Bass is wonderful, accurate, fast, focused, again,the best I have ever had in my system. I guess I just neber mentioned it cause I never felt bass was lacking, and just did not think about it. Bass is presented naturally IMHO.

Hope this helps in your journey.
Reb1208, I am gonna ship my APL 1000 back to Alex on Monday. I will suggest to him, if his busy schedule permits, to fully mod it, and use it for demo. This would not be up to the 3910 standard, but should be plenty wonderful to give a taste. I have not heard the Krell SACD standard, but from reading audiogon threads, I was under the impression the AA Capitole mk 2 was superior. I have owned that. I realize the more I know today, the less I know tomorrow. As far as an inexpensive back-up, it depends on what the buget is, and which formats are the most important to you. My back-up was(is) the SACD 1000.
Jes45, you need to get a life, I have bought, paid for used sold returned more equipment this year than most. I see no feedback for you, only rediculous posting. I am still buying other sources, and am communicating with other honest audiogon members who are on a similar search, for fabulous digital.. I have found something I realy love, and am sharing my experience. Nuf said.
Eldon buddy, get a life, and a new career, cause things must not be going too good for you to stoop to this level. If I was not having fun, why would I buy Modwrights 3910 to furthur my search. Check out the CES auction buddy. That may have been your mod, but your business acumen, and personality is lacking.

Get a life
AVGURU, you have heard the Exemplar 3910, not the 2900. BTW I also have a Modwright 3910 on order. I plan on using this for HT, and the APL for 2-channel. AVGURU, it's time to spend some $$$$ too buddy. Start buying and enjoying. Shootouts are great fun, but, if ya don't have your fav unit in house, what good is it?
Tbg, my 3910 had about 600 hours on it when we made the initial comparisons. My APL had about 100 hours, no clock, and missing a few other tweaks. I love them both, and may in fact buy another Exemplar if the price is right. IMHO the APL is still the best I have ever heard in the digital domain. I am interested in your thoughts too. I look forward to meeting you one day soon.

Best

Smilin
Richard, I am the guy who has owned the APL, Exemplar, and have a Modwright on order. In all my research, Over 1000 hours on the net, I felt most comfortable with these guys, to trust with my money. I have read some some threads on AA which made me want to stay away from your mods. Kyle has emailed me claiming to be able to better my current favorite APL player, but at double the cost, with no ability to listen too before $$$$. Alex has never, that I know of tried to promote himself here, or on other BB's. He does not even post regularly on his own BB. Alex is a one man show, his operation is Alex, his fiance, his garage, his knowledge, and his love for musical truth.

Alex came out of nowhere in 2003, he quit his job as lead engineer from sony when he got fed up with the crap they were reducing his ideas too, and persued the AMERICAN dream
I respect that, I honore that, I encourage that, I BELIEVE what Alex has accomplished in his short tenure as an AMERICAN entreprenuer is absolutely amazing. At the 2004 CES show, with Alex's mods on a SACD 1000, he was awarded the "most wanted component award" This was after only a couple of months. The unusual thing about Alex, is that he is a TRUE engineer. Like John Tucker, and others who not only buy higher grade parts to install, but, who design circuits boards themselves and have manufactured EXCLUSIVELY for themselves. These are proprietary, but, still subject to copy. These guys develop their own signiture sound on these machines. I was blown away by Dan Wrights machine that Jayctoy owns. I feel I would love to have one in my digital arsenal, and am in fact buying one. I still feel, as of today the the APL modded 3910, is the very best digital source I have ever heard.

I welcome you into the mix, as they say on the price is right, COME ON DOWN......I believe all those here on audiogon, interested in digital, welcome positive feedback, comparisons, insight into your thoughts. I also believe ya better have a change of attitude, cause with comments and complaints about the way audiogon(and their wonderful staff
and moderators)have dissed you guys. Maybe thats because you have not made your customers as happy as others have. I do not know of any modder, who has asked me to be active in writing about them. I am just having FUN on my audio journey. I am will to spend $$$$, and HEAR the music, as a result of putting together the components in my pursuit for my latest hobby. Music, is suppose to be fun, stress relieving. Not stressful.

I invite all you guys to get into the mix. Just no more BS please. Let your work speak for you, and your HAPPY customers write about you. Please be available top answer questions, and give insight. Most importantly, appreciate this audiogon forum, cause it's the BEST.

Have fun in your pursuits
BBBaaaa, bbaaaa, Richard, get a life, and learn your trade. Alex's mods are the BEST I have ever heard. Yours are not. Guess you just can't stand a guy putting this together in a couple years. You must be resting on past laurels buddy. You are wrong, each mod sounds different, unless you have poor hearing. Oh well, have fun looking stupid, and loosing customers along the way. I am sort of enjoying you blowing your image up, with your worthless garbage words.
Aldavis, richard was politely, invited to participate, add his commentary, in a profeswsional, advisory manner. He chose to throw stones. Not us. I do agree we should let him skulk back into his hole, if he has nothing positive to add.

My feeling are not hurt. Why? Cause I am here having fun in this obsession. I am buying, trying, selling, and having quite an enjoyable time. I agree that there is a lot of hype on some products, by unsrupulous sellers. I just know by my own ears, in my own system, with my own brain. Exactly what I like, and dislike. I will not sheepishly go away. I will continue with my journey until it is no longer fun for ME. It will be MY decision, no one elses. I will stop my rant now. Enjoy the journey, my friends.
T1day, For your description of what you are looking for I think you would love the Exemplar. It is truely extended, detailed, transparant, crisp, and just a tad bright for me. I believe John is selling off his remaining 2900's for a GREAT price. You are right when you say there are different flavors for each individual. Therefore, there is not 1 BEST player for everybody, but there is a BEST player for an individual.

Best of luck
I just bought the Modwright 3910 Dan was showing at the CES, I hope it's great. See guys, this is a nutty hobby, quite obsessive, huh?. BTW I will be taking these units to a fellow who has the Meitner gear for a comparison, and to decide if I would rather own those, anyone interested?
AVGURU, chill baby, yaknow we are just in this for the journey, and learning. BTW, I talked to Dan today about my new 3910, he is not shipping from CES, he is gonna do some additional work on it 1st. I think I will ask for a volume control too. This should be real interesting, especially for you, since you said, so far, the modwright sound is your preference. Now you and Jayctoy, along with others will be able to hear Modwrights latest, and greatest mod.

I hope you understand, I do not post harshly for nothing, my friend, thanks for realizing I was being attacked.

BTW, when are U gonna take a plunge for some better sonics?
seriously, dude - your house and yard are gorgeous!

And he cooks too!!!!

If only there was an S in front of HE. HHMMMMM
Charles AKA AVGURU, you are a horses ASS, put your $$$ where your mouth is already. I hope you like your Marantz SA14. BTW I am available this weekend, and have always been as gracious and HONEST as possible, even to the point of offering my players for audition without being there. I really do not care what you personnaly think Charles, for I lost respect for you when you told me you felt Bons modded Sony 9000 was more accurate than the APL or the Exdemplar. Dan Wright himself told me this is not the case, it is made to be more musical, not accurate. Dan also told me his new 3910 should be leages ahead of his earlier mods. This is a personal journey for me to find the digital I love most, than share my feelings freely on audio sites. I have never attacked you, or put you down, in fact the only real reason you have come this far is MY love for MY journey, and ME driving 60 miles to your home and letting you experience modified player by 2 genious's(John Tucker, and Alex Peychev). Where you favor Bons modwright for Accuracy, I do not. I do love what Dan does with his mods, Thus, again, I put my money where my mouth is, unlike you, I do not sit on the sidelines. You should be VERY CAREFUL what you put into print. It WILL come back to haunt you Mr. Moderator.

Best of luck your journey, and look forward to participating with Brian at his home, and listening to his AUDIOPHILE system.

I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH APL HIFI IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. I AM JUST A HAPPY CUSTOMER OF APL, EXEMPLAR, MODWRIGHT, WAVELENGTH, DENON, SONY, PIONEER, SVS, NOSVALVES, PATHOS, KLIPSCH, REIMER, TIVO, B&K, ECT.

I MAKE MY OWN MONEY BY WORKING FOR A LIVING, NOT SELLING AUDIO
I have a switchbox I can bring, BUT, it does degrade the sound. Brian, email me your info please, see ya in the am.