Aurender n200, talk me out of signing on the dotted line

I’ve requested an invoice.  My current system has an Audio Mirror 4 with Tele E88cc, Pass int-25, Acoustic Zen Crescendo 2 speakers and a REL 12” sub.   The sound is to my taste in that it is organic, swings with the music and is not lean.  It’s a bit grainy and I attribute that to the Lumin u2 mini, internet radio and Spotify sources in who-knows-what amounts.  Enjoyable none-the-less as is, I am all in for the Aurender.  Talk me out of it.  Please!  

wlutke

Showing 34 responses by wlutke

I ordered from an authorized dealer who then had it drop shipped from Aurender.

@pdreher 

yeah, I can see how that could be painful.  I’ve not seen a trend, having researched a ton.  My experience with failing modems (a few) is they lead me down the path of suspecting the affected device when, in fact, the modem was on its last legs.  My current modem just locked up a couple of days ago, only a few months old.  It’s a one gig modem with a 400 k download provider.  I hope you are right about the modem.  I’m still at go for the Aurender.  Dammit.  Thanks for the heads up.  

I’m streamin’ and discin’ only so Roon isn’t necessary.  And I love web radio.  Spotify connect will do.  I can experiment with other providers once the streamer is on par with the rest of the system.  I’m thinking the mini is a bottleneck in any case so that’s my reasoning. Aurender’s eliminated reclocking spdif (I think) on this model but no complaints I’ve come across.  Some good points made though.  Thank you.

@fastfreight 

It sits right at $6300 but I’m looking at a sizable discount from an authorized dealer.

@lalitk 

The mini has FLAC radio and the increase in resolution is noticeable as are Tidal and Qobuz, both of which I gave a shot.  What I’m reading about better streamers is an increase in dimensionality, separation, focus, realism and effortless delivery for a given resolution.  I currently don’t get that even with the better streams.  They can be more dynamic and focused but a bit dry and fatiguing.  Maybe “grain” was a misleading way to put it.

@dwest1023 

Should I get sound on par with my CD I'll be happy as a pig in spit.  Good to hear.

@ronrags

I considered that option (N10) at length too.

Looks like a good unit.

I’ve used a Mullard, much prefer the Tele.

@benanders 

Tongue in cheek, looking forward to my upcoming acquisition.  Confirmation is welcome as are other points of view.  As always, they are aplenty. Good fun!

@audphile1 

Good to hear the supplied usb cable is decent.  I plan on trying spdif and usb - my preference is musicality over technical superiority.  Extended FR, focus and definition mean nothing to me if it sacrifices foot tapping.  I have and have used Nordost interconnects and found Tyr2 to be OMG better than Frey2, but wow, the OMG cost.

@lalitk 

Thanks for the encouragement.  

Everyone else: 

Thanks for the encouragement, suggestions, observations and opinions.  It has been a whirlwind.

@audphile1

I would suspect cables (power, ICs, speaker), DAC or speakers.
What cables are you using?

Ah, right on the money. In preparation for the arrival of the n200 tomorrow, I received a 2m Wireworld Silver Starlight 8 spdif.  The larger chassis of the Aurender will need a new home a bit further from the Pass. Got the mini hooked up and right out of the box it’s a revelation over the Nordost Heimdall 2 AES. The top is controlled, gorgeous mids, tighter bass. The overall presentation is impressive. Now for the n200!

The n200 became mine yesterday, drop shipped from Korea.  Heavy!  I was stymied after the app and box couldn't find each other, then dropped V4 Conductor and went V3.  Success!  The app is intuitive, no glitches, iPad.  Many 44.1 radio stations and does play our favorite station.  The sound? 

What I’m reading about better streamers is an increase in dimensionality, separation, focus, realism and effortless delivery for a given resolution.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  

Still on the agenda - usb test, cd test, break in.  

How to - find a radio stream url for adding a station.

From app to sound, the Aurender has completely buried the the little U2 mini.  What a relief.  It was a blind purchase.

@jbuhl

Thank you! I added them this early morning, 4am now. It was easy. I’ll have a listen later today.

@lalitk

Thanks!

@audphile1

Thanks! The iPad is a sixth gen. Most likely too old.

@tvad

Thanks! N200 is up to date. App Store says V3 is for older iPads so won’t pursue it. Good link.

@tvad

Sure. I reinstalled the V4 app again. I had reinstalled it twice on day one with repeated no connects. Each time it asked for the device address shown in the n200 display. I entered the address and got a message something like "that is not the aurender address" V3 immediately connected. V4 reinstalled still would not.

Today V4 immediately connected. I shut the n200 down a few times, closed and reopened the app a few times, looked around in the app. V4 seems normal and stable.

@maholl50

Thanks for the suggestion.

This is the first I’ve heard of Eversolo.  Looking at the DMP-A8’s versatility and style, for the money how can I not be impressed?  Well appointed and well presented.  BUT I’m going to defer to the skeptic in me and ask can a wifi, Bluetooth, pre amp, streamer, DAC under $2k perform at the level of the rest of my system?   It would be too good to be true, as the saying goes.  I think of the A8 as more of a start point than an end point.  No, I haven’t heard one and I hope I won’t have to eat my words.  Not too worried though.  The N200 is impressive for the money as well!

I reopened my Tidal account.  Sinead O’Connor has been in my head for a week and I think I may have exorcised her because she was definitely outside my head, in the room, and belting out how nothing compares to me.  Great!

@audphile1

It’s been leaps and bounds. The WW Starlight 8 spdif and the Nordost H2 AES were a bad match for the U2 mini and AM DAC 4. The Silver Starlight 8 just plain worked. Then Aurender arrived. Then Tidal. My digital game has finally landed. It’s exciting.

@tvad

Thank you. I have an Amperex PQ I think is a white label somewhere in a box of tubes. Certainly worth a try. If not I ‘ll try Brent Jesse. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Or I should say the simplest solutions are always the best!  Aurender says they have optimized the usb out on the n200 and downgraded the spdif clock to save on cost.  

@audphile1

I sit here evaluating usb vs spdif. I give the usb a big thumbs up on performance. cleaner, clearer, quieter. Bottom is tighter, midrange is good, top is good but too aggressive. My vinyl is fine so maybe the cable or break in? Possibly a tube? I’ll stick with spdif and let things settle for now. It’s non fatiguing and fun.

I believe mine is a 6922. What shape it’s in is questionable. We shall see. If a no go then maybe a Mullard.  BTW big thanks again for the help.

Next day:

The n200 and DAC ran on repeat overnight. Still hot so I dug up a few Amperex:

1 Orange label PQ etch 436

2 Orange globe 7308 etch 100 and 728

2 7308 JAN Orange globe etch 714 723

1 6dj8 Bugle Boy Holland etch GA40L1

also has 6433 inked on glass

Insight anyone? White label PQ they’re not.

Thanks

I'll let the n200 gather some hours.  Spdif is my connection of choice.  It does fun things with the music.  Usb is better at technical things.  Cables on the analog side are tried and true.  AZ Satori shotgun speaker and (please don't laugh) AQ Ruby from the DAC.  The Ruby tames hot digital like no other.  I'll find a quality alternate some day.  

It' a family room so acoustics and set up are what they are -suboptimal.  OK, dismal.  And that's that.  WAF 

I have cables, tubes and sources (as in recordings) to work with.  Some music works, some doesn't. High pitched electric guitar or female lead can be steely - maybe acoustics, maybe a hot recording.  No sibilance problems.    No instrument problems.  In fact, instrumentals are fantastic.  I have tinnitus and am getting on in years (70) so there's that too.  I suspect it's all of the above.  I'll take it from here, one small step at a time.  Thanks for all the help!

So I tossed the Ruby for AZ Absolute Copper.  Nice upgrade.  Much smoother and tamed the top a bit.  Will share with the tt for now.

For those who must have Roon, the latest software update has added Roon! Tapping the Roon icon asks to download Roon and takes me to the App Store.

Also, vTuner shows artist and song on both app and N200 display. App can show bitrate, codec etc. on some stations in a small window format. Still without artwork, Darn. Hoping.