450 Pound Monobloc Amplifier

The Boulder 3050 monobloc weighs 450 pounds, 1500 wpc.

A pair of monoblocs weighing right at a half-ton...amazing.

The Pass Labs XS 300 monobloc weighs 300 pounds, 300 wpc.

With all of the advances in amplifier design, does an amp really have to be that big to get the results they're after?

The 1500 wpc D-Sonic monobloc weigh 12 pounds...I love it!
128x128mitch4t

Showing 12 responses by mapman

Any mags or other "trusted" sources done any shootouts between the biggest monster amps and best of the much smaller Class Ds in recent years? Lots of good reviews for both camps, but how do they really compare sound-wise on various systems that can truly benefit from a lot of juice?
Minor1,

Have you heard any Class D amps with your Martin Logans?

I have not heard Class D with electrostats. My gut says it does not sound like the most symbiotic pairing, but maybe with the right around it it might work.

I guess my point is that I like to compare what gear is capable of when set up to play to its strengths. I am not a fan of reviews that swap one speaker in for another willy nilly and assess the two based on that, for example.
My Class D Bel Canto monoblocks are each 8.5" (216mm) W by 3.5" (88mm) H by 12" (305mm) D. Weight: 18.5 lbs (9kg). 500w/ch. Very well reviewed. Still recommended by mags after having been out for several years. They sound as good as pretty much anything I have ever heard (I have heard a lot!).

David versus Goliath?
"Man, a 1500 watt Class-A amp must be one HELL of a home heating device!! Not to mention being able to cook yer bacon and eggs while listening to your system..."

Not to mention the power utilization even when not playing?

I guess Boulder is not a "green" company. No moss growing there!

If it catches on, world peace might be threatened. Where is 007? Tell him to withdraw from whatever he may be doing. Evil audio threatens!
Guido,

How about the current generation Class Ds that have been out there for a while, Icepower-based, Spectral, others? That would be a good baseline for such a comparison to see if/how the latest gen has upped the ante.

I've probably read such things in bits and pieces from various sources in recent years, especially when I was researching my own hi power amp purchase a few years back (yes I considered big monster amps from Pass, Krell, and others at the time but had no desire to go that way if avoidable), but I do not recall any comprehensive "shootouts" from a single source.
"I would really like to see where the other big names like Krell, Pass Labs, Bryston and the others could take the Class D or switching technology in the future."

One thing sure about technology in general, things generally get smaller, cheaper and more efficient over time.

Another sure thing is there will always be early adapters. Those are often not the biggest names but rather smaller upstarts that have something to gain from change/innovation.

Over time, a true innovation will gain more and more traction. Eventually, the more forward thinking big boys catch on. Some never do. You know what happens to them, right? That's why technical innovation and those who can drive it are always in demand.
In theory, I suspect the difference between best Class D and Class A amps may still be bandwidth, like Kijanki says. Those attune to things happening at the very upper frequency limits of human hearing are probably most likely to notice any difference there. But over time I suspect even that would become a non-issue as technology improves, unless there is some hard law of physics out there that imposes a barrier for the long term.
I'm interested to see if Stereophile or some other independent publication puts the new Pascal Class D amp from D-Sonic on the measuring bench to see how it compares to recent better Icepower based amps in terms of frequency response/bandwidth.
Lab,

I know what you are saying.

I predict the value proposition of Class D to far exceed that of SACD and that it is a technology that will only grow in application, not shrink.

We'll see....

Cheers!
I would agree. A decent tube pre-amp + Class D amp is a hard combo to beat for overall versatility and good sound.

Maybe the Class D trend will ironically provide a fresh boost for tube based gear as well. That would be ironic. Could be just what high end audio needs though, an effective blend of the best of the old and new that people might actually want in their homes and be able to afford to boot.

450 pound monoblocks are a very cool statement, but is there any doubt the market for 450 pound monoblock amps is limited?
Lab,

I don't see a relationship between SACD and Class D amps. Joe listener moving to a Class D amp if desired is a piece of cake compared to what a move to SACD involved. Plus there is a potential significant cost/efficiency benefit to moving to Class D. Moving to SACD just meant more cost and marginal value.
Lab,

I can comfortably say that Class D amps can sound "good". The ones I use sound as close to perfection as pretty much anything I have ever had expectation to possibly own. And they are alredy one or two generations removed from most recent products. That the Bel Canto ref1000m amps are still a current offering in their product line after several years says something about their viability.

The question is always what works best for and sounds best to an individual. Personal tastes and preferences make all the difference there and there are many flavors of quality products to choose from. Class D will not change that, though I suspect their popularity and application will only continue to grow and even accelerate over time as they become more widely accepted for sound quality as well as the other more unique benefits.