450 Pound Monobloc Amplifier

The Boulder 3050 monobloc weighs 450 pounds, 1500 wpc.

A pair of monoblocs weighing right at a half-ton...amazing.

The Pass Labs XS 300 monobloc weighs 300 pounds, 300 wpc.

With all of the advances in amplifier design, does an amp really have to be that big to get the results they're after?

The 1500 wpc D-Sonic monobloc weigh 12 pounds...I love it!
128x128mitch4t

Showing 13 responses by audiolabyrinth

@ minorl,Hi,the new Dan D Agistino momentum amps are far superior than the boulder 3050 period!,do not take my word on this!,check it out yourself!,Dan is a legend!,A pioneer so to speak of,cheers!
My Krell 700cx weighs a cool 180 lbs out of the box!at 46 I can still move it if I need to,the amp is two mono amps literally in one chassis,two of everything!I can see why this weighs what it does,the transformers are huge to say the least!happy listening!
@ minorl,Thanks about the compliment to Dan D Agistino momentum amps,I want them or the stereo version,wow!,you and mapman had a very interesting conversation here!awsome!,the both of you seem to know alot about amps!and yes my class A krell 700cx that is more power than 700 watts a channel with my 6oms speakers that dip to 4 oms alot,does not even fase the amp at all!LOL!A extra house heater forreal!LOL!,The heat that the amp generates does not bother me,since I live in the south,I am use to the heat here in alabama!cheers!
@ Tomtab,good point with your post 3-16-13,I believe class D amps is essentually the same to me as sacd technology,it came,it was good,it went the way as vhs video tapes!gone!,class D amps may be good,I do not doubt that!,I am saying,however,That it may be a passing fad,we all seen alot of technologys over the years that were quite good!,they slowly faded away!cheers!
I was hoping for some comments about my 3-17-13 post,I really believe what my previous post said!Happy listening!
@ mapman, I was stateing that class d amplification is another passing fad like sacd was,and that we all have seen good technology come and go like the way of vhs video cassets and etc...,if class d amplification does not catch on, like sacd,dvd-A,etc... did not!thou these technologys were good,they faded away in the dusk!cheers!
@ mapman,I really do not know eanything about class D amps,If they do sound good and are cheaper,of course I will jump on the band wagon!,can eanybody name brands of class d amps that actually sound good that I can audition?,mapman,thanks for understanding that I do not want an investment to go south because the technology came and went!cheers!
@ Minorl, very good point with your last post!,you hit my concerns on the nail head!
@ Guidocorona, My current class A amp retailed for $14,000.00 so I suppose $20,000.00 and down would be adequate!
@ noble100,I like pass amps,however, I like krell better,I own a legendary Krell fpb 700cx,this amp will never be sold or traded,Its that good!,krell may make a better amp,From what I have read on the gon forums and other sites,the evo E series are these new wideband amps that can be very bright sounding if you do not use a cable system that compensates for the resolving power of these new krell amps,I am interested in class D amplification for a second system that I want to improve and finish building,and btw,thankyou very much with the list here you provided,you are a gentlemen indeed!
@ Guidocorona,thankyou for your list here that you provided,as you may see,a class D amp would be for a second system,my Krell pure class A fpb 700cx will be on the main system,this amp with the Taralabs zero gold i/c and omega gold speaker cables has one of the best sound to my ears I have ever heard in my life!,thats saying alot if you knew the many price no object systems that I have listened to,audition,or owned!the marriage between this amp and cables is stunning!,you to are a gentleman for you to take time and provide this info on class D amps,again,thankyou.cheers!