Amp and Preamp for JM Lab Alto Utopias

I know this question has been asked before, but I haven't seen any recent answers. I'm strongly thinking about a change in my amps. I've had the Alto Utopias now for more than six years, and I still love them. I'd like a preamp and amp that pair well with the Altos and that can do well with the great variety of music I have in my collection: rock, jazz, soul, international, electroacoustic, blues, Afrobeat, dub, ambient, trip hop, breakbeat, etc. For the most part, I prefer a lush and warm sound for most acoustic recordings. But I prefer a bit more analytical detail on electroacoustic music, which requires closer attention. I sense a good, powerful solid state amp works best with the Altos for better control of the bass.
washline
" I also saw a MF KW 750 used. yet another good option to consider though I'm sure this one is a bit more pricey." Sorry for the confusion on this sentence. I meant to say that I suspect the amp is a bit more pricey than I can get it used elsewhere on the net. Sorry for the ambiguity on that.
Bill, the MF Tri-Vista 300 is most certainly better than the A5 (so are the Nu-Vista and the KW-500/550 models). The A308 on the other hand is not. I have compared the A5 vs the A308 for a few good hours and I did not hear any difference between the two models (speakers where either the Altos or the Divas; as cd player we used the MF A5).

Jadis is also a good option for the utopias.

May I ask what did you not like about the Dynaudios compared to the Focals. Which Dynaudio models did you listen? I am asking because recently I have fallen in love with the C1s. There are very high chances these will replace my MicroBes soon.
Paul, I heard the top-of-the-line Confidence floorstanders (C4?) and while I was impressed by the staging, I was not impressed by the tweeter with my music. At the time I was doing the testing, about seven years ago, I was listening almost exclusively to electroacoustic and electroacoustic improvised music. Only a few speakers that I heard did well with this kind of music, JM Lab Electra and Utopia Be being the best among them. B&Ws were also good. The Dynaudios, which were great on most kinds of music, could not accurately reproduce the sound on this kind of music. That's why there's much to factor in when evaluating music components. People talk about the room justifiably but equally important is one's musical taste as well as taste in the kind of reproduction provided by the system. For EA and EAI, I need something fast, authoritative, detailed and powerful. This music puts enormous demands on the speakers. At one point four years ago, I had to replace the tweeters on my Altos because of this. One of the dealers in an audio shop commented that my music was very good for evaluating the capability of a component.

I never meant to suggest that the MF A308 was better than your A5. Only that my original experience with the Micros were with that amp.

I'm curious about what you consider to be the sonic signature of the Gryphon amplification. I'm currently considering the purchase of a Gryphon Encore, which is a very powerful A/B amplifier and going for a reasonable price used. I'd be also interested in what might be a compatible preamp if I were to go in that direction. I'm still considering the ASR, but part of me thinks it might be better to go with separates this time rather than the multiple boxes that come along with the Emitter. With separates, if one component goes bad, it can be replaced readily enough. With the Emitter it involves sending multiple packages in for repair. Can you describe the sound of the Gryphon with the Utopia speakers? Which Gryphon were you listening to?

Jadis would probably be great for most kinds of music except for rock and EA. I imagine it would be majestic on vocals and small group jazz as well as chamber music. But would the low wattage and tubes work well with Focal floorstanders given their difficult impedance load? Someone said on the Audiogon once that the Jadis 845 on Nova Utopias was the best sound he had ever heard. I imagine it was but I can also imagine what he was probably listening to. I would suspect that this amp would have otherwise been pretty bass-shy.
I'm sure though that a Jadis integrated would work well with the Micros downstairs and with the music we'd likely to be playing there (not EA).

I also did hear the Dynaudio Confidence monitors. My reaction to those was the same as the much larger floorstanders.

Hi Bill, sorry for my late reply.

I heard the Micro Be with the Gryphon Tabu but it was very long time ago so I can not give you any details. While looking on the net for this Tabu integrated (I could not remember its name) I stumbled on a few sites saying that the Gryphon Tabu is identical with the NAD Silverline integrated which was sold at a fraction of the Gryphon price (2000 vs. 6000 euros) and which according to NAD was an improved version of the TABU. Gryphon on the other hand denied this. I find such stories very disturbing. (I also read here on audiogon that Focal uses 1.5$ caps in the crossover of the MicroBe.... and that one can significantly improve the MicroBes by changing those caps.)

Coming back to the Gryphon, I spent around 3-4 hours (by myself with my music) with an all Gryphon system (i.e. mirage pre, colosseum power amp, mikado cd player and Trident speakers). While the sound was not bad at all my impression was that the company strategy is to impress people with their exorbitant prices and strange looks rather than sound quality. But then this is not the first time when I had this impressions about extremely expensive systems which I can not afford.

Regards,
Paul