Do I Have the Wrong Cartridge?

I recently got back into playing vinyl on my Linn Axis (fully serviced), but needed a new cart. Since 80% of my listening is on an ARC CD3 and not knowing how often I’ll use the TT, I set a budget of only $300 on a MM and went to my local HiFi shop. They recommended a Rega Elys II.

Now to my problem...I listen to classical music and it sounds awful with this cart; strings and brass are harsh and music sounds thin overall. All my LPs are top class, pressed in Germany and Holland.
To test my TT, I played some Rock albums and they all sounded excellent; great dynamics, wide soundstaging. Records played were a wide variety; Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, Mahavishnu Orch, Kraftwerk.

So I ask you, can a middle of the road cartridge like this Rega only sound good on a particular style of music? I was told this Rega was a good all-around cart and BTW, it’s non-returnable.

Looking for any explanation and advice.
Many thanks.
128x128lowrider57
Can anybody tell me Raul's Agon "handle" or a link to the MM thread and I'll get back to you soon.
Rauliruegas.

Stand back before clicking, though. It's over 11,000 posts! We'll understand if your intention to "get back to us soon" turns out not to be practicable :-)

Best regards,
-- Al
Doug, regarding your view of HOMC carts,
HOMCs arguably bring you the worst of both designs, often at higher cost than an MM.

My experience has been very different, I replaced an Ortofon 2M blue with a high output Benz Glider and the difference was like night and day. Clearly these carts are not in the same class. The benefit may be due to the boron cantilever and stylus shape but I think it's unlikely.

HOMCs provide a good value by eliminating the need for a SUT or high gain phono stage.

@lowrider, I would like to say stay clear of the 2m blue, but at 200$ I am not sure that there is anything much better.
thanks Nick, it seems like the 2m Blue is very well reviewed.

I still have a lot of research to do, but I'm thinking my Axis is above an entry level TT especially after the rebuild, so I'm not going to "cheap out" on the cart.

"Knownothing...
I am using a Grado Reference Platinum 1 on an old Thorens 150mkII and my classical records sound wonderful."
My new budget should be about $350 which is in line with this Grado.
The issue w the Grados is that they are unshielded and depending on the TT, they can pick p hum from the motor. It's very system dependent.