Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Thanks, Gary. So, basically because your mat is thicker than OEM, the peripheral ring works fine. I looked at your other photos, too. Under the platter I see first what looks like a EMI shield, a brushed silver metallic looking insert that covers everything. What is it made of? Then in some other photos, the brushed silver covering is not present, but instead the parts underneath appear wrapped in some black quilted looking material. What's that?

I have a shield between motor and platter on my L07D. Had not considered doing it also for the TT101, but I suppose it makes as much sense.
Halcro, I would like to post those photos of my QL10 plinth here. Does that require first posting them somewhere on the internet, like Photobucket or Google photos? Or can I post them from my computer desktop? Thanks. It seems that I need to put them up on the internet first.

To create a link via Audiogon instructions:

Using Markup Tags.

Pictures are links only as Audiogon has no database to store picture files therefore one must upload photos to outside website a la photobucket, tinypic, imgur, etc...

Lewm, In response to your questions on 4/16/14 about the quilted material and the EMI shield I refer you to the "Nude Turntable" thread and my responses on 8/27/12 and 9/16/13, and the surrounding entries. Hopefully these entries will cover the ground.
Gary
Gary, I found on that thread or another DD-related thread that I first wrote about shielding the motor in my L07D, and you asked ME questions at that time. So I assume you proceeded from there, but to find out what exactly I am looking at in your photos, I will seek out the posts you cite. Sadly, the product "TI Shield" seems no longer to be available. One might use mu metal or ERS cloth or just a sheet of copper or stainless or etc. Each has slightly different properties as a shield.