Should I retip a Shinon red, or replace it? $350

Basically I am getting a shinon red with a turntable that I purchased.

I need a new cartridge.

Simple question, in your opinion should I try a soundsmith retip for $350 or the same amount of cash on a new MC cartridge?

This also brings about the question old MC's vs. new. Is it true that the newer ones perform better at lower price points then the older units?

I know its an odd question, but I have no real area to audition carts. so I am just trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks - Evan
240z4u
I would describe the sound as "lacking in resolution" LOL.

If its trashed, Ill just stick it in a curio cabinet. I am a sucker for busted carts.

Thanks - Evan
Hello Evan,

I was wondering - I have the same wonderful cartridge which I managed to snap its cantilever in one second of distraction (and consequent destruction) and since I love its sound I was wondering if you actually went ahead with the cantilever replacement and tipping?
If you did, who did you use for the repair and how did it compare to how it was before the repair?

Thank you kindly!

Doron
Doron, I know this is an old post but yes I did have soundsmith do the work. I am very pleased with this cartridge! I never heard it before the damage so it's hard for me to say. I did the highest tier repair!

Evan
Hi Evan, You can also post your cart to Axel in Germany
(schallplattennadeln.de) and ask for boron cantilever +
stylus of your choice. The price including VAT tax (20%)
is about 160 Euro. But those outside EU don't need to
pay VAT tax. You can email him first to investigate.
You will get his answer in 3-4 days ( 'one man company').
However he is much faster than anybody else.

Regards,
Evan, remember a few months ago you were scratching your head about what to do with the rebuilt cartridge because the sound was bad. No more. Glad I fixed that :-)
Brian