Should I retip a Shinon red, or replace it? $350

Basically I am getting a shinon red with a turntable that I purchased.

I need a new cartridge.

Simple question, in your opinion should I try a soundsmith retip for $350 or the same amount of cash on a new MC cartridge?

This also brings about the question old MC's vs. new. Is it true that the newer ones perform better at lower price points then the older units?

I know its an odd question, but I have no real area to audition carts. so I am just trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks - Evan
240z4u

Showing 5 responses by 240z4u

Viridian, the cantilever is missing!

I should send it to them to check the diamond, that would be pretty funny.

I am unsure of the differences in stylus profile from soundsmith. I will wait until I have the funds to do the deed, then call them for a consult.

Thanks guys - Evan
I would describe the sound as "lacking in resolution" LOL.

If its trashed, Ill just stick it in a curio cabinet. I am a sucker for busted carts.

Thanks - Evan
Doron, I know this is an old post but yes I did have soundsmith do the work. I am very pleased with this cartridge! I never heard it before the damage so it's hard for me to say. I did the highest tier repair!

Evan
Thanks, I think I have read some of your feedback of it on audioasylum archive material. Not the same user but a very simaler description!

Thank you for your input, yes it says 350 for cantilever and diamond. This is the website price, so who knows if it would end up costing extra by the time it was done.

I have not read a ton about it on the web, but it sure seems that the people that have it like it.

Thank you for your input - Evan
Doron, glad to hear you had such a good experience and are pleased with it.

Essential; Thanks for the detailed setup job :)