SOTA Nova

I'm about two days from ordering one and want to make sure they are that good. Thoughts? I'm thinking of using a origin live silver & Shelter 501 cart. Thoughts?
128x128jtwrace
Don't fear bro, The SOTA's are kick ass good.

I have never "come back" to vinyl as I "never left". I have owned Garrards, JVC's, Thorens 125 and 126 (still have the 126), have a lot of chair time with friends and heard all kinds of working man's wages types of tables, Dual, Empire, Sony, Technics, etc, and when I got a plain old Sapphire a few years back, I found a great table at a wonderful price/performance ratio.

So much so, that I have a Cosmos in right now being brought up to the Series IV. That is it for me, I am done, and I elected not to trade in the sapphire for credit towards the Cosmos/upgrades as I don't want to part with it.

No knock on VPI as they have been in the game a good long time and have a dedicated group of adherents and by all accounts they are great tables. I would actually love to compare/contrast if I had the chance.

But from experience SOTA is a class act all the way around. A great product from a great company.

Have Fun!!
I've owned a series 3 deluxe for about 10 yrs. It began life as a Star but was upgraded in 92 at Romeoville. Last year the power unit developed a loud hum and had to send it for repairs. I bought mine used with mounted sme-v arm for about 2k. Have since replaced the original sumiko cartridge with a goldring Excel VX with good results. I recently sent the whole rig up to Illinois for a complete checkout and upgrade recommendation. The bearing was occasionally making a slight ticking noise. That was 2 months ago. I am still waiting to hear from them.
Hi All, i currently have Sota purchased new in 1999 with SME V and Dynavector XV1's. I am trading it in for the new Cosmos Series IV. Before the Nova i owned a Star Saphire. Steelhead is right. You are getting a top shelf TT for peanuts (so to speak). Look up Paul Seydor's review of the SME 20, SME 30 and Sota Cosmos on the TAS. See Paul Bolin's review in Sterophile as well. I rest my case.
I do not know how someone can live without a vacuum hold down system on their TT. The best, most effective system to flatten a warped record and i mean any kind of warps.
Indeed, Kirk and Donna are a real pleasure to deal with and if you ever have a problem with your TT they will take care of it.
You will not be dissapointed.
Enjoy......
Ill just add to the fan mail for the sota. I have a star III upgraded to a V with the nova bearing and platter. While I like the VPI's the sota sounds as good or better and the periphery clamp is a pain in the a s. Ive never had a problem with the vacuum and Kirk and Donna are great.
good listening
I recently upgraded to the Cosmos IV and have a VPI TNT Jr. The VPI is an excellently designed TT, but the Cosmos is musically and in terms of "involving" me, in a higher league. The same with the Sota Sapphire that I previoulsy owned. A word about Kirk and Donna: I noticed a crack in the wooden chassis of the Sota, which was entirely my fault. Kirk gave me a brand-new chassis, at no charge and refused my offer to pay him for the damages! How do you beat this kind of service? They are two of the classiest people in all of audio and I can't say enough good things about them and their product. Needless to say, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment if I were you, and would buy the Sota.