About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGG!!!!! I filled the sink with hair this morning. LOL. Now I'll be able to go incognito. I guess it doesn't matter and the goatee will grow back quick enough. But old Lugnut isn't going to be able to shock and annoy his friends with his unusual appearance. The time warp is history. Hell, I guess in a month or so I'll just need to take to wearing white shirts and ties to go along with this new look. I will not however be posting a photo of this new look. Assuming I make it to Miami in early march I'll be able to hug guys like Cello and Doug Deacon with them thinking some insane stranger has crashed the party. Woohoo!

I've been swapping gear in and out of my system like crazy. A couple of things that will most definitely stay no matter what else comes or goes are the Ridge Street cables. Robert, you are a magician! They haven't settled in yet but with the addition of the tuner, thanks to Jeff Logan, I'll be able to play some low level radio to speed up the break-in procedure and enjoy this weekend at a new level of detail. The additional detail in the bass and high frequencies is something else, really. I've used his cables before and know exactly what to expect once they settle in. The best way I can convey the huge impact they have is by saying it's like going from a very inexpensive mm cartridge to a SOTA mc. Everything is better without any harshness whatsoever especially considering I'm running solid state amps. It's a shame that the RS speaker cables can't be used with my current system as I'm sure I'd be in hog heaven then. If anyone knows of a banana adaptor that has a binding post on it I'd love to try these driving my mid/bass drivers and then the tweeters. I'm guessing that this alone would represent a significant improvement.

The little Snells are incredible performers even though I had to place them on top of my floor standers which wasn't giving them a fair chance to really shine. I have yet to receive the stands that go with them but when I do I'll go through the setup again. There was a small amount of bass driver pumping caused by the rear firing ports interacting with my turntable and placement of the subwoofer is going to be problematic with my room layout. Still, even considering these massive setup problems, if they exceed the performance of my floor standers I'll figure out a way to use them. For sure, they would work very well if I were digitally based. I do have an idea for using them in another system in the living room if I can do it on the cheap.

Man, I'm going to miss my old retro look. Let's have a moment of silence for my hair.
Pat,

You better make it to Miami! It is going to be big fun. And no ties allowed.

Joe
Oh well. Hair today, gone tomorrow.

While you deny it, I do think your decision to forego the chemo is a brave decision, as well as a wise one. As we discussed, 150 good days is better than 300 bad ones, and that first course of chemo certainly caused you some very bad days. And I doubt that it's totally a selfish decision; I'm sure that your suffering from the chemo wasn't easy on Barbara or Amanda ... or for anyone else that cares about you -- just ask Steve, or me, or any of us.

Those Snell K7 Monitors are amazing, aren't they? They image-up beautifully, with very liquid and gorgeous mids and highs. They provide a great deal of detail while also remaining very musical. They were designed by Joseph D'Appolito, the inventor of the famous D'Appolito array (tweeter flanked by 2 mids), which has been copied by almost every speaker manufacturer. BTW, I just called Snell, and the stands are on their way!

I wonder if, besides moving the location of the table, removing the dust cover or perhaps letting it rest on a couple small pieces of Sorbothane might reduce the port turbulence problem. I suspect Tom Lyons' Audiopoints will help a great deal, and allow you to successfully integrate all of the components in your listening room. And if not, give Snell's Bob Graffy a call -- he's a very knowledgeable guy and a very nice man to boot. Their website is www.snellacoustics.com.

I also agree with you about Robert's Schult's Ridge Street Audio cables -- they're great, and he's a great guy, too. As Steve mentioned earlier, audiophiles are a wonderful group of people, and this clearly extends to manufacturers who are in it for the love of it. This hobby has been called a sickness, a mania, an obsessive-compulsive disorder, and other (fairly accurate) terms. The beauty part is, we get to "suffer" with the best company! :-)

Have a great day,
Paul
Pat, I support your decision to forego chemo. I have a hard time believing in its merits, all told...this hippie will stay off his soapbox otherwise! ;)

I've recently added Ridge Street Poiema!! speaker cables in my system and I'm quite pleased with them so far! The Northeast Wisconsin Audiophiles had Robert and Steve up to Green Bay last month to demo the RS cables and new speakers. Great guys and great products!

Hey Pat, if you're bored and looking for something to read, check out The Detox Book second ed. by Bruce Fife, N.D. Maybe you find it helpful or interesting, maybe not, but it's a worthwhile read IMHO!

Feel better, man!
Hey guys, I got a haircut yesterday and it doesn't look like I've lost as much as I did. Boy oh boy do I look respectable. I'm seriously thinking about getting lightning bolts dyed into my hair on each side. Bright red perhaps. Barb wants me to get my ear re-pierced. I'd do that if I could find a musical note earring. Know where I can get one?

As a few of you guys know, old Lugnut grew up in a less than sophisticated environment and never got exposed to classical music. I've always felt that I was missing out on a lot of joy but without a mentor it was too daunting a task to undertake what with all the great jazz and blues I could pursue easily. Well, I've got myself a mentor now in the form of Scott Campbell. The first of his records that I listened to was Tchaikovsky Symphon NO. 6, a MOFI pressing. While not the best recording the content lifted Barb and I up and carried us away. Very sensual and intimate if that is a correct way to express how it made me feel. Thanks Scott for making this easy for me.

Later guys as I've got a busy weekend going.